Solving for Time of Flight of Stunt Vehicle

In summary, the conversation is about finding the time of flight for a stunt vehicle that leaves an incline with a speed of 35 m/s at a height of 52-m above level ground. The equation d = Vit + 1/2at² is used to calculate the time, taking into account the initial velocity of 16.4t. The total distance in the Y direction is more than 52, so the equation is d=Vit+.5at^2. The conversation ends with the understanding of the equation and its purpose.
Format
A stunt vehical leaves and incline with a speed of 35 m/s at a height of 52-m above level ground. Air reistance is negligible.

Find the vehicals time of flight?

Well i found the x and y components of the vehicals velocity. And i know to use d = Vit + 1/2at² giving me:

-52 = 16.4t + 1/2(-9.8)t²

My question is why can you do this? The distance of 52-m only includes the hieght of the cliff, not the height it reaches above the cliff due to leaving it on an incline. Why doesn't that make a difference in the time?

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer is that equation already takes into account the "height it reaches above the cliff due to leaving it on an incline." That's what the 16.4t is.

If the height is only 52m, then it would be d=.5at^2

The 16.4 is the initial velocity though. Wouldnt the answer to -52 = 16.4t + 1/2t² be the time it takes from ground level to reach a height of 52 meters?

The total distance in the Y direction is more the 52...i don't understand lol

-52 = 16.4t + 1/2(-9.8)t²
This is correct!

The total distance is more than 52, yes. That's why the equation is:
d=Vit+.5at^2
Notice the Vi*t, that's that accounts for the extra distance

so really, your distance is d-Vi=.5at^2
-52-16.4t = + 1/2(-9.8)t²

-52-16.4t is the real distance, see now?

ah ok i think i got it. Thx :biggrin:

yeah, np, that's what this physics fourm is for, and I love it! :tongue:

1. How is the time of flight of a stunt vehicle calculated?

The time of flight of a stunt vehicle can be calculated using the equations of motion, specifically the formula for time: t = (2h/g)^1/2, where h is the height of the jump and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the time it takes for the vehicle to pass through two known points, such as the starting point and the landing point.

2. What factors can affect the time of flight of a stunt vehicle?

The time of flight of a stunt vehicle can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity of the vehicle, the angle of the jump, air resistance, and the height of the jump. Other factors like the weight and shape of the vehicle can also have an impact.

3. How does air resistance affect the time of flight of a stunt vehicle?

Air resistance can significantly affect the time of flight of a stunt vehicle by slowing it down and reducing its overall speed. This can result in a shorter time of flight and a shorter jump distance. To minimize the effects of air resistance, stunt vehicles are designed to be aerodynamic and have a streamlined shape.

4. Can the time of flight of a stunt vehicle be increased or decreased?

Yes, the time of flight of a stunt vehicle can be increased or decreased by adjusting various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of the jump, and the height of the jump. Increasing the initial velocity and angle of the jump can result in a longer time of flight, while decreasing these values can lead to a shorter time of flight.

5. How is the time of flight of a stunt vehicle used in the design process?

The time of flight of a stunt vehicle is an important factor in the design process as it helps determine the ideal velocity, angle, and height for the jump. It also allows designers to accurately predict the landing point and ensure the safety of the stunt performer. Additionally, the time of flight can also be used to analyze and improve the performance of the vehicle for future stunts.