Time in QFT vs. QM: Exploring Differences in Treatment

In summary, the conversation discusses the treatment of time in quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics. It is stated that time is one of the four dimensions of spacetime in both QFT and relativistic QM. While the topic is of interest, the only way to fully understand the role of time in these theories is to study it in depth through a book. It is also mentioned that QFT is essentially the same as relativistic QM, and any other theory of relativistic QM would also treat time in the same way as described in the conversation.
Tio Barnabe
I'm starting this thread because @PeterDonis suggested in the other thread that time is treated diferently in quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics/ ordinary quantum mechanics.

I'd like to know specifically how is it treated in QFT and in relativistic Quantum Mechanics. Of course, I could look at a book on the subject, but for the moment I'm interested on this specific topic only, so I'm not going to read a entire book for now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
I'd like to know specifically how is it treated in QFT and in relativistic Quantum Mechanics.

It's one of the four dimensions of spacetime, just like in classical relativity.

Tio Barnabe said:
Of course, I could look at a book on the subject, but for the moment I'm interested on this specific topic only, so I'm not going to read a entire book for now.

Unfortunately, beyond what I just said above, you will need to take the time to work through a book if you want to understand the role that time plays in QFT/relativistic QM.

PeterDonis said:
It's one of the four dimensions of spacetime, just like in classical relativity.
That's in QFT as well as in relativistic QM? Or just in QFT?

Tio Barnabe said:
That's in QFT as well as in relativistic QM?

QFT is relativistic QM. There is no other theory of relativistic QM that I am aware of.

(Even if there were, to be relativistic it would have to treat time the way time is treated in relativity, which is what I described.)

Likes Tio Barnabe

1. What is the difference between time in QFT and QM?

In quantum mechanics (QM), time is treated as a universal parameter that is independent of the system being studied. In quantum field theory (QFT), however, time is treated as a parameter that is specific to each field. This allows for a more accurate description of particle interactions and the effects of relativity.

2. How does QFT incorporate relativity in its treatment of time?

In QFT, time is treated as a fourth dimension, along with the three dimensions of space. This allows for the incorporation of relativity, which states that time and space are intertwined and can be affected by the presence of mass and energy.

3. Does time operate differently at the quantum level compared to the macroscopic level?

Yes, at the quantum level, time is treated as a discrete, quantized parameter, while at the macroscopic level, it is treated as a continuous, smooth parameter. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we measure the position of a particle, the less precisely we can measure its momentum, and vice versa.

4. How does QFT account for the concept of time dilation?

QFT takes into account the concept of time dilation through the use of virtual particles. These particles are constantly popping in and out of existence, and their interactions with particles in the field can cause time to appear to slow down or speed up for an outside observer.

5. Can QFT and QM be used together to fully understand the concept of time?

Yes, QFT and QM are complementary theories that can be used together to better understand the concept of time. QFT provides a more accurate description of particle interactions and relativity, while QM provides a better understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.