Time-independence of original coordinates in canonical transform

In summary, the \xi^l are independent of time because they are the original coordinates and the transformation from the original coordinates to the transformed coordinates is a static transformation that does not change over time.
mjordan2nd
I am going through my professors notes on generating functions. I come across the following equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \frac{\partial F}{\partial \xi^k} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left( \gamma_{il} \frac{\partial \eta^i}{\partial \xi^k}\eta^l - \gamma_{kl}\xi^l \right ).[/tex]

Here [itex]\xi[/itex] are the original coordinates, [itex]\eta[/itex] are the transformed coordinates, and [itex]\gamma_{il}[/itex] are the components of the block matrix

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & -I \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right ).[/tex]

When the time derivative is taken on the right hand side, the [itex]\xi^l[/itex] are said to be independent of time. Why is this. Certainly (q,p) depend on time, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused as to why the \xi^l are independent of time.The reason that the \xi^l are said to be independent of time is because they are the original coordinates, and the transformation from the original coordinates to the transformed coordinates is a static transformation - it does not change over time. Therefore, the \xi^l remain constant throughout the transformation, and thus are not dependent on time.

1. What is the concept of time-independence in canonical transform?

Time-independence in canonical transform refers to the property that the transformation equations do not explicitly depend on time. This means that the transformation equations remain the same regardless of the specific point in time at which they are applied.

2. Why is time-independence important in canonical transform?

Time-independence is important in canonical transform because it allows for the preservation of physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, throughout the transformation. This ensures that the laws of physics remain consistent and valid regardless of the reference frame or time at which they are observed.

3. How does time-independence affect the coordinates in a canonical transform?

In a time-independent canonical transform, the coordinates of the system remain unchanged. This means that the original coordinates and the transformed coordinates are equivalent and can be used interchangeably to describe the same physical system.

4. Can a transformation be considered canonical if it is not time-independent?

No, for a transformation to be considered canonical, it must be both time-independent and preserve the symplectic structure of the system. This ensures that the transformation is consistent and physically meaningful.

5. Are there any practical applications of time-independence in canonical transform?

Yes, time-independence plays a crucial role in the study of classical mechanics and Hamiltonian dynamics. It allows for the simplification of complex systems and the preservation of important physical quantities, making it a valuable tool in understanding the behavior of physical systems.