Time independent perturbation

But, the perturbing Hamiltonian needs to be expressed as an operator acting on the degenerate states, and that operator will have a matrix representation in the degenerate subspace. The eigenvalues you just found are the matrix elements of that operator. The matrix elements of the perturbing Hamiltonian are the matrix elements of that operator, in the basis of the degenerate subspace.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of perturbation theory to approximate eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the unperturbed Hamiltonian. Different methods, such as non-degenerate and degenerate perturbation, are used to solve for the eigenvalues and compare them to the unperturbed ones. The importance of understanding the physical meaning
E92M3

Homework Statement

Given:
[tex]\mathbf{H}=V_0\begin{bmatrix}
1-\epsilon & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1& \epsilon\\
0 & \epsilon & 2
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon<<1[/tex]

a) Find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the unperturbed Hamiltonian [tex](\epsilon=0)[/tex]

b) Solve for eigenvalues of the Perturbed Hamiltonian then expand them up to the second order in epsilon.

c) Use 1st and 2nd order non-degenerate perturbation theory to approximate the eigenvalue that grows out from the non-degenerate state of the unperturbed Hamiltonian. Compare to part b.

d) Use degenerate perturbation theory to find first order correction of the eigenvalue of the initially degenerate states. Compare to part b.

Homework Equations

Non-degenerate perturbation:
[tex]E_n \approx E_n^0+<\psi_n^0|\hat{H_1}|\psi_n^0>+\sum_{m \neq n} \frac{|<\psi_m^0|\hat{H_1}|\psi_n^0>|^2}{E_n^0-E_m^0}[/tex]

[tex]E_n^0[/tex] are the unperturbed eigenvalues
[tex]|\psi_n^0>[/tex] are the unperturbed eigenstates

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
[tex]\mathbf{H_0}=V_0\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 &0 \\
0& 1&0 \\
0 &0 & 2
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]E_1^0=V_0[/tex]
[tex]E_2^0=V_0 [/tex]
[tex]E_3^0=2V_0 [/tex]
[tex]|\psi_1^0>=\begin{bmatrix}
1\\ 0
\\ 0

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]|\psi_2^0>=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\ 1
\\ 0

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]|\psi_3^0>=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\ 0
\\ 1

\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

b) I subtracted lamda times the identity motrix from the hamiltonian matrix and set its determinant equal to 0 to find the eigenvalues the usual way. After the series approximation, I got:

[tex]\lambda_1=V_0-V_0 \epsilon [/tex]
[tex]\lambda_2=V_0-V_0 \epsilon^2 [/tex]
[tex]\lambda_3=2V_0+V_0 \epsilon^2 [/tex]

c) I used the non-degenerate perturbation above and got recover what I got in part b for the 3rd lambda.

d) Here's the problem, I had no clue what to do. I know that I am suppose to set up a matrix and its eigenvalues are the first order correction. And I know how to pick out the matrix elements. But what is the size of my matrix? 2 by 2 because of 2-fold degeneration? Or 3 by 3 since the hamiltonian matrix is 3 by 3? And after I got the eigenvalues, how do I compare them with part b? Which eigenvalue here corresponds to which eigenvalue in part b?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have correctly identified the degenerate subspace: {|ψ1>(0),|ψ2>(0)}. You must diagonalize the perturbing Hamiltonian, H-H(0), in this subspace, and then use the resulting eigenbasis.

Well since the basis vectors just forms the identity matrix after diagonalizing I will still get:
[tex]\mathbf{H-H_0}=\mathbf{H_1}=V_0 \begin{bmatrix}
-\epsilon & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \epsilon\\
0 & \epsilon & 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This will lead to the 3 eigenvalues with the first 2 repeating:
[tex] \lambda_1 =V_0 \epsilon[/tex]
and
[tex] \lambda_2 =V_0 \epsilon[/tex]
and
[tex] \lambda_3 =-V_0 \epsilon[/tex]

But which of these corresponsds to which unperturbed eigenvalue? In other words, how can I construct the followings?

[tex]E_1=E_1^0+\lambda_?[/tex]
[tex]E_2=E_1^0+\lambda_?[/tex]
[tex]E_3=E_1^0+\lambda_?[/tex]

Which lambda goes where?
And even more troubling, none gives the lambda squared that is present part b. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Form a matrix from the matrix elements:

f|(0) H(1)i>(0)

where {i,f} = {1,2} (the degenerate subspace). Then, diagonalize this matrix. Use the basis that diagonalizes this matrix as the basis for the degenerate subspace. This will guaruntee that perturbed transitions to different states in the degenerate subspace vanish, so that the divergent energy denominators will no longer be a problem.

Are you saying that my matrix elements should be:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}V_0\begin{bmatrix}
-\epsilon & 0 & 0\\
0 &0 & \epsilon\\
0& \epsilon & 0
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
1\\ 0
\\
\end{bmatrix} =-V_0 \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0
-\epsilon & 0 & 0\\
0 &0 & \epsilon\\
0& \epsilon & 0
0\\ 1
\\
\end{bmatrix} =0[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0
-\epsilon & 0 & 0\\
0 &0 & \epsilon\\
0& \epsilon & 0
1\\ 0
\\
\end{bmatrix} =0[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0
-\epsilon & 0 & 0\\
0 &0 & \epsilon\\
0& \epsilon & 0
0\\ 1
\\
\end{bmatrix} =0[/tex]

Therefore forming the matrix:
[tex]\mathbf{A}=\begin{bmatrix}
-V_0\epsilon & 0\\
0& 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Then using:
[tex]|\mathbf{A}-\lambda\mathbf{I}|=\begin{vmatrix}
-V_0\epsilon-\lambda & 0\\ 0
& -\lambda
\end{vmatrix}=(V_0\epsilon+\lambda)\lambda=0[/tex]
to get the eigenvalues:
[tex]\lambda_1=-V_0\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_2=0[/tex]
With only 2, I know that they correspond to the initially degenerate eigenvalues right? But neither of them recover my answers in part b, why is this so?

Last edited:
E92M3 said:
With only 2, I know that they correspond to the initially degenerate eigenvalues right? But neither of them recover my answers in part b, why is this so?
Think about the meaning of what you are doing. What is the physical meaning of a QM eigenvector? What is the meaning of a QM operator? What happens to the state if it is an eigenstate of an operator, and that operator is solely responsible to perturb the state?

turin said:
What happens to the state if it is an eigenstate of an operator, and that operator is solely responsible to perturb the state?

This I really don't know. We ran out of time due to some bad weather days on which classes were canceled. Perturbation theory wasn't really covered completely in class. I've got the equation (from the text) of dealing with non-degenerate perturbation. I know that the equation won't work for degenerate because we'll get a zero in the denominator, so we need to set up a matrix (n by n for n-fold degeneracy) for degenerate perturbation. I think we pick out the entries of the matrix as I did above. Then the eigenvalues of that matrix will be the first order correction. Am I correct?

E92M3 said:
Then the eigenvalues of that matrix will be the first order correction. Am I correct?
I believe so.

What is time independent perturbation?

Time independent perturbation is a method used in quantum mechanics to study the effects of a small perturbation on a quantum system that is already in a stationary state. It allows for the calculation of the energy levels and wave functions of the perturbed system.

How does time independent perturbation work?

In time independent perturbation, the Hamiltonian of the perturbed system is expressed as the sum of the Hamiltonian of the unperturbed system and a perturbation term. The perturbation term is typically small compared to the unperturbed Hamiltonian, allowing for the use of perturbation theory to solve for the energy levels and wave functions of the perturbed system.

What is the significance of time independent perturbation in quantum mechanics?

Time independent perturbation is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics as it allows for the study of small changes in a quantum system without having to solve the entire system from scratch. It is also used to explain phenomena such as the Zeeman effect, the Stark effect, and the Lamb shift.

What are some limitations of time independent perturbation?

One of the main limitations of time independent perturbation is that it assumes the perturbation is small, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. It also does not take into account the effects of time-dependent perturbations.

How is time independent perturbation related to the time-dependent Schrödinger equation?

The time-dependent Schrödinger equation describes the evolution of a quantum system over time, while time independent perturbation is used to study the effects of a small perturbation on a stationary quantum system. However, time independent perturbation can be used to approximate the time-dependent Schrödinger equation in certain cases, such as when the perturbation is small and the system is close to its stationary state.