1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-independent Schrödinger equation, normalizing

1. Jun 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron coming from the left encounters/is trapped the following potential:
    -a<x<0; V=0
    0<x<a; V=V0
    infinity elsewhere
    the electron has energy V0
    a)Write out the wave function
    b)normalize th wave function
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for -a<x<0
    $$Ψ(x)=Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx)$$
    $$k^2=\frac{2mV_0}{ħ^2}$$
    and for 0<x<a
    $$Ψ(x)=Cx+D$$
    and 0 elsewhere
    i used the sine and cosine because it seemed it would be better for continuity condition in x=0, if you would use exponential form please do explain why.
    so this is what my teacher expects for a).
    for b)
    applying continuity conditions on x=0 i get:
    A=D
    B=C
    and so:$$\int_{-a}^{0}|Ψ(x)|^2=1$$
    im a bit confused here, is this the norm or the module? i think its the norm and if so ot might have been worth it to write the wave function in exponential form, so before i transcribe this big integral please clarify this for me.

Furthermore this should look like a particle traped in a box correct? i dont really understand what happens when E=V, i understand the probabiity part, it decays linearly further inside the step, correct?
    And what about if E>V0 is it a particle traped in a box, but in the 0-a area the amplitude decreses? And the allowed energy levels for that area start at V0? what about penetration? and when E is smaller what happens?
    Thank you!

Edit:would it be easier if i shifted the potential by -a so that it is in the range [0;2a]?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##B=C## isn't quite correct. You should also apply continuity conditions for ##\psi(x)## at ##x=-a## and ##x=a##.

The normalization requirement is
    $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx = 1.$$ In this problem, since the wave function vanishes for ##|x|>a##, you have
    $$\int_{-a}^a \lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx = 1.$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted