Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time independent schrödinger equation query

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

Hello, the TISE can be simplified
    $$H \psi = E \psi$$
    Where ##H## is the Hamiltonian, and ##E## is the eigenvalue, but why don't the ##\psi## terms cancel, leaving ##H = E##?

Also, what the heck does the eigenvalue ##E## have to do with the eigenvalue that I have previously encountered in mathematics (linear algebra)

##A \textbf {v} = \lambda \textbf {v}##
    where ##A## is a matrix, ##\textbf {v}## is a vector, and ##\lambda## is the eigenvalue. Where was linear algebra ever invoked when doing TISE to use such a name for E, Eigenvalue?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2
    The Hamiltonian is a differential operator, not a mumber, you cant cancel the wave functions on both sides for this reason.

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

That was my suspicion

5. Feb 15, 2015 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

Well, I have some more issues with this. I don't understand why there are two ways of defining and then calling them equivalent, ##\hat {H} \psi = E \psi##

So I think the quantum mechanical Hamiltonian is defined

$$\hat {H} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + V $$

So I will just take this for granted as a letter that will signify the sum of the kinetic and potential energy, with the kinetic energy having a fancy operator attached to it. Now if I multiply through by ##\psi##, I will get

$$ \hat {H} \psi = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {\partial^{2} \psi}{\partial x^{2}} + V \psi $$

But for some reason, in deriving the TISE, we set
    $$ i \hbar \frac {1}{f} \frac {\partial f}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {1}{\psi} \frac {d^{2} \psi}{dx^{2}} + V = E $$

Where ##f## is a function of time, taken from separating variables of the wave function ##\Psi (x,t) = \psi (x) f(t) ##

Why create this constant, ##E##? At the end of it all, it becomes ##\hat {H} \psi = E \psi##. I don't understand why this is necessary to even have a letter ##E##.

Is it perhaps meaningless to write ##\Psi (x,t) = \psi(x) e^{\frac {-i \hat {H} t}{\hbar}}## since ##\hat {H}## contains the second derivative operator, and for that reason ##E## is useful?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  6. Feb 15, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

E is a separation constant. The term involving ##f## is a function of ##t## only while the stuff in the middle is a function of ##x## only. The only way this equality can hold is if they're equal to a constant.

7. Feb 15, 2015 #6

Maylis

Gold Member

What the heck is the difference between E and the Hamiltonian?

8. Feb 15, 2015 #7

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

The potential energy ##V## is also an operator and it may be a function of ##x##. For example, if we're looking for the wave function of a particle in a harmonic oscillator, ##V=\frac{1}{2}kx^2## and the time-independent Schrodinger equation becomes
    $$\frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {\partial^{2} \psi}{\partial x^{2}}+\frac{1}{2}kx^2\psi=E\psi$$

Solutions (other than the trivial ##\psi=0##) to this differential equation only exist for certain values of ##E##.

This is the same concept of eigenvalue and eigenvector that you saw in linear algebra. All that's going on now is that the vector space on which the operator H is acting is the space of functions ##\psi##. H maps the function ##\psi## onto the function ##H\psi##, and the TISE is looking for functions that are mapped to scalar multiples of themselves by the operator H.

9. Feb 15, 2015 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The fundamental equation of non-relativistic quantum theory in its formulation as "wave mechanics" (discovered by Erwin Schrödinger in 1926 when on skiing vacation) is the time-dependent Schrödinger equation
    $$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t \psi(t,x)=\hat{H} \psi(t,x),$$
    where the Hamiltonian in the most simple case of a point particle moving in a potential is given by
    $$\hat{H}=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \partial_x^2 + V(x).$$
    Given the wavefunction at ##t=0##, you can calculate the wave function at any later time by solving this partial differential equation (with some boundary conditions, ensuring that ##|\psi(t,x)|^2## can be integrated over ##x \in \mathbb{R}##.

One method to solve linear partial differential equations is a separation ansatz. This lets you look for solutions of the equation which factor in a product of functions of ##t## and ##x##:
    $$\psi(t,x)=f(t) \Psi(x).$$
    Plugging this into the Schrödinger equation, you get
    $$\mathrm{i} \hbar \Psi(x) \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} f(t) =f(t) \left [-\frac{\hbar^2 \Psi''(x)}{2m} + V(x) \Psi(x) \right ].$$
    Now you divide this equation by ##f(t) \Psi(x)##. Then you get
    $$\mathrm{i} \hbar \frac{1}{f(t)} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} f(t) =\frac{1}{\Psi(x)} \left [-\frac{\hbar^2 \Psi''(x)}{2m} + V(x) \Psi(x) \right ].$$
    Now the left-hand side does not depend on ##x## and the right-hand side does not depend on ##t##. This implies that it cannot depend on both ##x## and ##t##, i.e., it's a constant, which we suggestively call ##E##.

From the left-hand side this means
    $$\mathrm{i} \hbar \frac{\dot{f}}{f}=E.$$
    This you can immediately integrate to get
    $$f(t)=f_0 \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i} E t}{\hbar} \right )=u_E(t).$$
    For the right-hand side you get
    $$\hat{H} \Psi(x)=E \Psi(x).$$
    Together with the approriate boundary conditions you get the possible set of eigenvalues ##E## of the Hamiltonian and the corresponding eigensolutions, ##\Psi_E(x)##. Usually the possible eigensolutions involve a set of discrete energy eigenvalues ##E_j \in \mathbb{R}## ("bound states") and a continuous set ##S(\hat{H}) \subseteq \mathbb{R}##. Then you can write any wavefunction in terms of these eigensolutions:
    $$\psi(t,x)=\sum_n \exp \left(-\frac{\mathrm{i} E t}{\hbar} \right) A_n \Psi_{E_n}(x) + \int_{S(\hat{H})} \mathrm{d} E A(E) \Psi_{E}(x).$$

10. Feb 15, 2015 #9

Maylis

Gold Member

I know ##\Psi (x,t)## is the wave function, what does ##\psi(x)## by itself represent or mean?

11. Feb 15, 2015 #10

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its the expansion of a pure state in terms of the position eigenfunctions.

Here are the two axioms of QM:

Axiom 1
    Associated with each measurement we can find a Hermitian operator O, called the observations observable, such that the possible outcomes of the observation are its eigenvalues yi.

Axiom 2 - called the Born Rule
    Associated with any system is a positive operator of unit trace, P, called the state of the system, such that expected value of of the outcomes of the observation is Trace (PO).

Axiom 2 is to some extent, without going into the details, implied by axiom 1 via Gleason's theorem - but no need to go into that here - we will simply focus on axiom 1.

Given a Hermitian operator O by the spectral theorem it can be expanded in terms of its eigenvalues and eigenvectors O = ∑yi |yi><yi|. Since the |yi> form an orthonormal basis any vector |v> can be expanded in terms of that basis |v> = ∑vi |yi>. The vi is called the representation of the vector v in terms of the observable O. Ignoring the subtlety of a continuous basis whose rigorous resolution involves what's called a Rigged Hilbert Space the wave-function is the representation of the systems state in terms of the position observable.

Without proving it, it turns out, from the Born rule, given a wave-function ψ(x), the probability of finding a particle at position x if you observe it is |ψ(x)|^2.

To really understand this stuff get a copy of Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development:
    https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics-Modern-Development-Edition/dp/9814578584

Read the first three chapters,

Thanks
    Bill

12. Feb 15, 2015 #11

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If ##H## is not a function of ##t## (which is equivalent to saying that the potential is constant over time), then we can solve the time-dependent Schrodinger equation using separation of variables. The solutions will be ##\Psi(x,t)=\psi(x)e^{-iEt / \hbar}## where ##\psi(x)## is the solution of the time-independent Schrodinger equation ##H\psi=E\psi## with ##E## a scalar.

Because ##H## is Hermitian we know that ##E## is real. Therefore the magnitude of the exponential is equal to one, and ##|\Psi(x,t)|^2##, the probability distribution of finding a particle with energy ##E## at position ##x## at time ##t##, is equal to ##|\psi(x)|^2##. More complicated states with more complicated and interesting probability distributions will be the square of linear combinations of different solutions of the TISE with different values of ##E##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook