Time-independent Schrödinger Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the time-independent Schrodinger equation and wave function, specifically whether they are the same in the case of a square well potential. It is determined that in general, they are not equal, and the most general solution of the time dependent Schrodinger equation involves a sum of arbitrary coefficients and energy eigenfunctions.
soul
Hi everyone,
I have been studying Quantum mechanics course for one month and our subject for now is Time-independent Schrödinger Equation. What I couldn't figure out is whether [tex]\Psi(x,\,0) = \Psi(x)[/tex], since [tex]\Psi(x,\,0)[/tex] doesn't contain any time dependence and [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] as well. Can someone explain me that that expression is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
your LaTeX isn't showing up for me... but it looks like you are asking whether psi(x,0) is equal to psi(x).

In which case, what do you mean by psi(x,0) and psi(x)?

I am new in quantum and there could be some lack of terminology in my question. I mean that Schr. Eq. at t = 0 which is shown as psi(x,0) and wave function independent of time psi(x) are the same in sqaure well and in some other cases??

In general, no. Consider a potential like the square well that has only bound-state solutions. Then there is a discrete set of allowed energies, the energy eigenvalues, [itex]E_n[/itex], and corresponding eigenfunctions, [itex]\psi_n(x)[/itex], [itex]n=1,2,\ldots[/itex] ; these are the solutions of the time-independent Schrodinger equation. Then, the most general solution of the time dependent Schrodinger equation is
[tex]\psi(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty c_n e^{-iE_nt/\hbar}\psi_n(x),[/tex]
where the [itex]c_n[/itex]'s are arbitrary coefficients.

EDIT: something seems wrong with the TeX processing on the new server ...

to fix your LaTEX issues, you need to close with [/itex] or [/tex]...

Dr Transport said:
to fix your LaTEX issues, you need to close with [/itex] or [/tex]...
I did close with [/tex] and [/itex], but the slashes disappeared after uploading. This is a problem with the new server; see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1922963

What is the "Time-independent Schrödinger Equation"?

The time-independent Schrödinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time. It is named after the Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger, who first developed the equation in 1926.

What is the significance of the "Time-independent Schrödinger Equation"?

The time-independent Schrödinger Equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of quantum systems. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, and has applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and quantum computing.

How is the "Time-independent Schrödinger Equation" derived?

The time-independent Schrödinger Equation is derived from the more general Schrödinger Equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. By assuming that the system is in a stationary state, where the wave function does not change with time, we can simplify the equation to obtain the time-independent version.

What are the key components of the "Time-independent Schrödinger Equation"?

The time-independent Schrödinger Equation has two key components: the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the quantum system, and the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the system in a particular state. The equation relates these components to each other, allowing us to solve for the energy levels and wave functions of the system.

What are some applications of the "Time-independent Schrödinger Equation"?

The time-independent Schrödinger Equation has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, the properties of semiconductors, and the behavior of particles in quantum systems such as Bose-Einstein condensates. It also has applications in fields such as quantum chemistry, materials science, and nuclear physics.