Time integrals of free particle propagator

In summary, the conversation is about calculating integrals as part of an assignment on matter wave diffraction. The equations and attempt at a solution are provided, with a focus on finding the expressions for I_1 and I_2. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a substitution and an identity to solve for I_2.
naele

Homework Statement

As part of an assignment on matter wave diffraction I'm to calculate the following integrals
[tex]
I_1=\int_0^{\infty}G(\vec r_2,\vec r_1;\tau)e^{i\omega\tau}d\tau,\quad
I_2=\int_0^{\infty}G(\vec r_2,\vec r_1;\tau)e^{i\omega\tau}\frac{d\tau}{\tau}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

To do so, introduce the following integral
[tex]
J(u)=\int_0^{\infty}G(\vec r_2,\vec r_1;\tau)e^{(i\omega-u)\tau}d\tau
[/tex]
It is easy to see that
[tex]
I_1=J(u=0),\quad I_2=\int_0^{\infty}J(u)du
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We have that
[tex]
J(u)=\int_0^{\infty}d\tau \langle \vec r_2|e^{-iH\tau/\hbar}e^{(i\omega -u)\tau}|\vec r_1\rangle
[/tex]

If we switch to the momentum representation, we can exploit the fact the momentum eigenstates are eigenstates of the Hamiltonian and hence get (constants suppressed)
[tex]
\int d^3p_1 d^3p_2 e^{i\vec p_2\cdot\vec r_2/\hbar}e^{-i\vec p_1\cdot\vec r_1\hbar}\frac{i\hbar}{2m\hbar(\omega+iu)-p_1^2}\delta^3(\vec p_2-p_1)
[/tex]

We can integrate over p2, and noticing that [itex]\hbar\omega=p^2/2m[/itex] we have
[tex]
J(u)=-\frac{i\hbar 2m}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d^3p_1 e^{i\vec p_1\cdot(\vec r_2-\vec r_1)/\hbar}\frac{1}{-i\hbar 2mu-p^2+p_1^2}
[/tex]

Switch to spherical coordinates aligned in such a way that [itex]\vec p_1\cdot(\vec r_2-\vec r_1)=|\vec p_1||\vec r_2-\vec r_1|\cos\theta[/itex]. Integrate over the angles to get
[tex]
J(u)=-\frac{(i\hbar2m)(2\pi\hbar)}{i(2\pi\hbar)^3r}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_1 p_1 \frac{e^{ip_1r/\hbar}}{p_1^2-p^2-i\hbar 2mu}
[/tex]

We can see there are two simple poles at [itex]p_1^{\pm}=\pm\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}[/itex]. We consider a semi-circle contour in the upper half plane according to Jordan's lemma. And so the residue is just [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^{ir\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}/\hbar}[/itex]

Then altogether we have that
[tex]
J(u)=-\frac{(i\hbar 2m)(2\pi)(i\pi)\hbar}{i(2\pi\hbar)^3r}e^{ir\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}/\hbar}
[/tex]

Now, I am given the expressions for [itex]I_1,I_2[/itex] and they are
[tex]
I_1=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r}e^{ipr/\hbar} ,\quad
I_2=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r^2}(p+\frac{i \hbar}{r})e^{ipr/\hbar}
[/tex]

Now from the expression I calculated for J(u) I can see that J(u=0)=I_1 as found, my problem is that I don't know how to calculate
[tex]
I_2=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r}\int_0^{\infty} e^{ir\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}/\hbar}du
[/tex]

I feel like there's a clever change of variables that I'm just not seeing. Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

It looks like you have made some good progress in finding the expressions for I_1 and I_2. To solve for I_2, you can use the substitution u = -i\omega to get

I_2=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r}\int_0^{\infty} e^{ir\sqrt{p^2-i\hbar 2\omega}/\hbar}d\omega

Then, you can use the identity

\int_0^{\infty} e^{ir\sqrt{p^2-i\hbar 2\omega}/\hbar}d\omega = \frac{\hbar}{r}e^{ir\sqrt{p^2-i\hbar 2\omega}/\hbar}

to get

I_2=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r}\int_0^{\infty} e^{ir\sqrt{p^2-i\hbar 2\omega}/\hbar}d\omega = \frac{m}{2i\pi}\frac{1}{r^2}(p-i\hbar/r)e^{ipr/\hbar}

which matches the expression you were given for I_2. I hope this helps, good luck with your assignment!

1. What is a free particle propagator?

A free particle propagator is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude for a free particle to travel from one point in space to another over a given period of time. It is often used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle's position or momentum at a future time.

2. How is the free particle propagator related to time integrals?

The time integral of the free particle propagator is used to calculate the probability of a particle being at a specific position at a given time. By integrating the propagator over a period of time, we can determine the probability of the particle being at a particular location at the end of that time period.

3. What does the free particle propagator tell us about a particle's motion?

The free particle propagator provides information about the probability of a particle's position and momentum at a given time. It can also be used to calculate the average position and momentum of a particle over a period of time, and can give us insights into the behavior of a particle in a particular system.

4. How is the free particle propagator calculated?

The free particle propagator is derived from the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics. It involves solving a differential equation and applying boundary conditions to determine the probability amplitude for a particle to travel between two points in space over a given period of time.

5. What are some practical applications of the free particle propagator?

The free particle propagator is used in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and field theory. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules, and can also be applied to study the dynamics of particles in a variety of physical systems, such as in condensed matter physics and cosmology.