1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time integrals of free particle propagator

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As part of an assignment on matter wave diffraction I'm to calculate the following integrals
    [tex]
    I_1=\int_0^{\infty}G(\vec r_2,\vec r_1;\tau)e^{i\omega\tau}d\tau,\quad
    I_2=\int_0^{\infty}G(\vec r_2,\vec r_1;\tau)e^{i\omega\tau}\frac{d\tau}{\tau}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    To do so, introduce the following integral
    [tex]
    J(u)=\int_0^{\infty}G(\vec r_2,\vec r_1;\tau)e^{(i\omega-u)\tau}d\tau
    [/tex]
    It is easy to see that
    [tex]
    I_1=J(u=0),\quad I_2=\int_0^{\infty}J(u)du
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We have that
    [tex]
    J(u)=\int_0^{\infty}d\tau \langle \vec r_2|e^{-iH\tau/\hbar}e^{(i\omega -u)\tau}|\vec r_1\rangle
    [/tex]

If we switch to the momentum representation, we can exploit the fact the momentum eigenstates are eigenstates of the Hamiltonian and hence get (constants suppressed)
    [tex]
    \int d^3p_1 d^3p_2 e^{i\vec p_2\cdot\vec r_2/\hbar}e^{-i\vec p_1\cdot\vec r_1\hbar}\frac{i\hbar}{2m\hbar(\omega+iu)-p_1^2}\delta^3(\vec p_2-p_1)
    [/tex]

We can integrate over p2, and noticing that [itex]\hbar\omega=p^2/2m[/itex] we have
    [tex]
    J(u)=-\frac{i\hbar 2m}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d^3p_1 e^{i\vec p_1\cdot(\vec r_2-\vec r_1)/\hbar}\frac{1}{-i\hbar 2mu-p^2+p_1^2}
    [/tex]

Switch to spherical coordinates aligned in such a way that [itex]\vec p_1\cdot(\vec r_2-\vec r_1)=|\vec p_1||\vec r_2-\vec r_1|\cos\theta[/itex]. Integrate over the angles to get
    [tex]
    J(u)=-\frac{(i\hbar2m)(2\pi\hbar)}{i(2\pi\hbar)^3r}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp_1 p_1 \frac{e^{ip_1r/\hbar}}{p_1^2-p^2-i\hbar 2mu}
    [/tex]

We can see there are two simple poles at [itex]p_1^{\pm}=\pm\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}[/itex]. We consider a semi-circle contour in the upper half plane according to Jordan's lemma. And so the residue is just [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^{ir\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}/\hbar}[/itex]

Then altogether we have that
    [tex]
    J(u)=-\frac{(i\hbar 2m)(2\pi)(i\pi)\hbar}{i(2\pi\hbar)^3r}e^{ir\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}/\hbar}
    [/tex]

Now, I am given the expressions for [itex]I_1,I_2[/itex] and they are
    [tex]
    I_1=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r}e^{ipr/\hbar} ,\quad
    I_2=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r^2}(p+\frac{i \hbar}{r})e^{ipr/\hbar}
    [/tex]

Now from the expression I calculated for J(u) I can see that J(u=0)=I_1 as found, my problem is that I don't know how to calculate
    [tex]
    I_2=\frac{m}{2i\pi\hbar}\frac{1}{r}\int_0^{\infty} e^{ir\sqrt{p^2+i\hbar 2mu}/\hbar}du
    [/tex]

I feel like there's a clever change of variables that I'm just not seeing. Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?