Why Do Time Intervals Differ in Motion Analysis Problems?

In summary, a man's average velocity and acceleration over the 5 minute time interval were 2.20 m/s and 0.80 m/s, respectively.
cattalion

Homework Statement

From t=0 to t=5.00 min, a man stands still, and from
t=5.00 min to t=10.0 min, he walks briskly in a straight line at a
constant speed of 2.20 m/s. What are (a) his average velocity vavg (v average)
and (b) his average acceleration aavg in the time interval 2.00 min to
8.00 min? What are (c) vavg and (d) aavg in the time interval 3.00 min
to 9.00 min?

I know the solution, but my question is: why is the entire time interval for part a is equal to delta t= 8–2= 6 min? Where did the 8 and 2 come from? Part b and c, I also am confused by the time intervals. I have the solution attached and confusions marked in red. Can anyone clarify this?

Homework Equations

Average velocity: Delta x/delta t

Average acceleration: Delta v/delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

(The solution is attached).

Attachments

• 2.21problem.png
    2.21problem.png
    64 KB · Views: 3,446
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cattalion said:
Where did the 8 and 2 come from?
The time intervals are all arbitrary values selected by the problem setter. They have no special significance.

haruspex said:
The time intervals are all arbitrary values selected by the problem setter. They have no special significance.

I still don't understand :frown: They do matter because I would need to use those values to find the average velocity. Wouldn't I subtract 10 - 5 minutes instead of 8 - 2 minutes since it says: "From t=0 to t=5.00 min... and from t=5.00 min to t=10.0 min..."?

cattalion said:
They do matter because I would need to use those values to find the average velocity. Wouldn't I subtract 10 - 5 minutes instead of 8 - 2 minutes since it says: "From t=0 to t=5.00 min... and from t=5.00 min to t=10.0 min..."?
Yes, of course they matter. Those are the values you are told to use:
(b) his average acceleration aavg in the time interval 2.00 min to 8.00 min
But you asked where they came from. The answer is that they came out of the problem setter's head.

check with Bashar

There something must be wrong with my eyes, because I "misread" the problem. It's sad though because I was trying to figure out where the times came from for a couple of days, and I finally saw "his average acceleration aavg in the time interval 2.00 min to 8.00 min?" It like miraculously appeared to me.

Thank you for all those that helped. Seriously think something wrong with my eyes.

What is a time interval in motion?

A time interval in motion is the amount of time it takes for an object to change its position from one point to another. It is a measure of the duration of motion.

How is time interval in motion calculated?

Time interval in motion is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the average speed of the object. The formula is: time = distance/speed.

What is the unit of measurement for time interval in motion?

The unit of measurement for time interval in motion is typically seconds (s) or milliseconds (ms). However, depending on the distance and speed of the object, other units such as minutes or hours may also be used.

Why is time interval in motion important in scientific experiments?

Time interval in motion is important in scientific experiments because it helps to accurately measure and analyze the speed and acceleration of objects in motion. It also allows for the prediction and control of future motion.

What are some factors that can affect time interval in motion?

Some factors that can affect time interval in motion include the distance traveled, the speed of the object, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The type of motion (linear, circular, etc.) can also impact the time interval in motion.