1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time invariance

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show whether the system

y(t) = x(2t) is time variant or not

2. Relevant equations

a system is time invariant if a time shift in the input signals results in an identical time shift in the output signal, that is if y[n] is the output of a discrete-time, time invariant system when x[n] is the input, then y[n-n0] is the output when x[n-n0] is applied

3. The attempt at a solution

first of all I have the answer on my book(oppenheim) but I can't understand what he does

what I tried to do is

suppose we apply a signal

x1(t) and we get an output of y1(t) = x1(2t)

now, suppose we apply a signal x2(t) = x1(t-t0)

we get an output of y2(t) = x2(t) = x1(2t - 2t0) = y1(t-t0)

hence it's time invariant

now, the book says it's time variant, and also it creates graphs to prove this point and I don't understand how he proves this..

what am I doing wrong?
    thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2
    actually now that I'm looking at it better

when we have a system

y(t) = x(2t)

and we say let's input the x(t-2)

will the new system be

y(t) = x(2(t-2))

OR

y(t) = x(2t - 2)

?

for the second part, and I think oppenheims graphs have something to do with the second one

the result is correct

4. Jul 7, 2011 #3
    y2(t)=x2(2t)=x1(2t-t0)=y1(t-t0/2)
    hence it is time variant :P

This is most simply seen if you realize that y in time t is equal to x in time 2*t, which is time origin (t=0) dependent definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook