Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time is a by-product of interaction

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1
    Here's what I think.
    Time is a by-product of interaction.
    If there were no interaction in the universe what need would there be of time?
    I feel that velocity increases the amount of interaction a body of energy can be induced under. This explains time diallation in that time expands to accomodate increased interaction.
    Now here's the few facts that I have assembled which I can make things fit with:
    1)Time diallation (as velocity increases, time moves slower)--->as to accomodate this greater level of interaction by slowing time to make events distinct from each other, you certainly can't have everything happening all at once, if that were the case reality wouldn't exist.
    2)The speed of light, not being a constant, theoretically predicted to be faster in the past than it is now --->more on this in a second.

Now let me paint a picture here and we'll see if it holds consistent with the facts.

Time is relative to motion found throughout all and above a lower order guage field (probably plank scale).
    If this all were a calculation (information theory is starting to merge with physics, this is a widely accepted notion) running on a computer (of immense, unimaginable power), and each bit of energy were a bit of information, living information that when manifested in the reality produced by such a calculation, results in predictable results, but on such a large scale that things seem chaotic.
    Consider what a black hole is. What happens when the entrophy of gravity itself is overcome? (obviously not very easy to figure out considering we have yet to observe such a large black hole). What is going on inside one of these things?
    I predict a black hole is like a large computer. Indeed this level of isolation (which means that a star, which is not isolated from the unpredictable effects of gravitational buffeting, wouldn't work) is enough to make it such. What happens when you remove thermal buffeting from matter?
    Simple, at some point the interferance from the surrounding universe is removed, and the quantum constituents of the object are entangled. Or de-tangled as I call it, considering if we indeed are in a giant calculation, all constituents of the universe are already in an entangled state (and hence for the wave like nature of everything). A particle is a partially bound/entangled state, hence it behaves like a wave (subject to universal interferance) and like a particle (enough of a bond that it is not ripped apart by this universal interference).
    If temperatures are too high, too much interferance, particles cannot exist (as was the case at the beginning of the big bang, the gradual cooling allowed for particles to exist).
    Now here's where the interesting aspect of things comes along.
    If this were all true, how could things fit the facts, like for example how could the speed of light be faster during the early universe?
    If I were to follow my prediction that time is a by-product of interaction, we would know that time MUST be slower in the past. Tensor gauge fields would have a much higher energy density, a greater level of interaction would take place between energy, and hence time is slower.
    These gauge fields had to have been created somehow, so we must assume that they were created too during the big bang. These fields do not have 0 velocity, in fact they are like an ocean with currents and eddies; after the big bang there would be a strong tendency for these fields to settle out, for the universe to expand as it is.
    Has the universe contracted yet?
    So how can time be slower, but the speed of light be faster?
    At that time, just shortly after the big bang, the motion of the gauge fields were such that they tended to be (at first) travelling away from the epicenter of the great explosion at slightly above the speed of light. Light too would travel at the speed of light but that speed was faster because the relativistic motion of the light when compared to gauge fields, overall moving in the same direction, produced much less interaction with the light (which would slow it down by producing an entrophy). As the universe began to settle, the speed of light was reduced, because the relativistic motion of the gauge fields became more less uniform, which is why light moving in one direction cannot move faster than in any other, because too much settling has taken place for that effect to be detected.
    Now why would the universe accelerate (thus avoiding the big crunch)?
    The universe accelerates because time is speeding up. As the gauge fields thin out, so does the level of interaction decrease, time goes by faster. When time goes by faster, the speed of light does too (but not so much that it is technically faster than the speed of light in the past).
    The universe began accelerating even more when the gauge field thinned out enough that the zero point field and overall universal temperature reduced, and hence the zero point field no longer manifests particles but virtual particles, energy nearly in a stable state, enough to manifest as a virtual particle, but not wholly bound and not stable enough to exist for more than a brief instant. Without new particles popping into stable existence, there was more energy from the already decaying stable conditions existing in the universe (as we all know particles decay and energy tends to go into a less organized state, these particles eventually do not decay into nothingness, their energy is conserved).
    Energy was indeed created during the big bang, but not energy itself; only momentum induced on that energy. Even empty space is made up of something, filled with undetectable energy (alot more than we think there is, it may seem like nothing to us because we cannot perceive there being much information stored in empty space), filled with the energy from gauge fields. The existence of energy may be a little more difficult to explain but the energy of momentum is not.

All forms of entrophy induce time, as entrophy is communicated via chunks of energy to surrounding bodies of energy, regardless of nature (accept temporal entrophy is a little different, it is what makes stopping time from time diallation so difficult to accomplish---actually impossible to accomplish. It is also the same force that prevents one from stopping all motion all together, if one could do that there still would be swirling gauge fields that would induce time).

Hence the only way to screw with time is to isolate things from everything else. We have already done this it is called entanglement. I believe the whole universe is one big calculation, with simple parts that have predictable reactions, on such a large scale that they appear chaotic and can manifest a broad reality. It is why entanglement seems to be independent of time, capable of "spooky interaction at a distance", and it would be nice to see measurements as to how quickly this can happen (predictably instant over any distance). The only way that this could violate the laws that we have made for time is that if time were not a constant thing and were induced by the environment around the object, given the isolation of the most substantial form of interferance, thermal energy, one can induce a more favorable state for that particle to be entangled.

Anyways, perhaps someone here knows the math (can do some exploration here) that would be helpful towards calculating energy densities and frequency of interaction which would create a match between this and the effect of time diallation, the measurement of how much velocity causes this effect. I strongly believe that it is the surrounding energy that produces this, I also believe that this is what keeps things relatively contained, which didn't necessarily have to happen before the big bang.
    Perhaps I am just babbling...but there's got to be a direct link between energy on it's lowest level interacting and the manifestation of time.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted