Time it takes to achieve terminal velocity?

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a skydiver with a mass of 100kg and a terminal velocity of 58 m/s to reach the same speed while taking into account air resistance. The skydiver's air resistance is represented by the equation Fair=.3(v)2 and the force of gravity by Fg=mg. By setting up the sum of forces and using Newton's second law, it can be determined that the time it takes for the skydiver to reach 58 m/s is approximately 17.55 seconds. However, it is important to note that the skydiver's terminal velocity is actually 57.74 m/s and their speed can never exceed this value.
mcovalt

Homework Statement

A 100kg skydiver has a terminal velocity of 58 m/s. Assuming air resistance of the skydiver is Fair=.3(v)2, how long will it take the skydiver to reach 58 m/s?

gravity is 10 m/s2 in our class btw.

Homework Equations

Fair=.3(v)2
Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the air resistance force will end up equaling 1000N at 58 m/s. I just don't know how long that will take.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write up Newton's second law, solve it for v(t) and see if 58 m/s will be ever reached.

ehild

Last edited:
I integrated to find the answer, which lead to about 17.55 seconds.

ehild said:
Write up Newton's second law, solve it for v(t) and see if 58 m/s will be ever reached.

ehild
I'm sorry, I am not in calculus based physics so excuse the ignorance :) Sound's like a differential equation. Newton's second is F=m * dv/dt. If this is a differential, how do I set this up to calculate via Wolframalpha?

Theorγ said:

How would one go about integrating it?

Set up the sum of forces:
[tex]\Sigma F = F_{g} - F_{A}[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma F = (100 kg)(10 \frac{m}{s^{2}}) - 0.3v^2[/tex]
[tex] ma= (100 kg)(10 \frac{m}{s^{2}}) - 0.3v^2[/tex]
[tex] a= \frac{(100 kg)(10 \frac{m}{s^{2}}) - 0.3v^2}{m}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}= 10 \frac{m}{s^{2}} - 0.003v^2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dv}{10 \frac{m}{s^{2}} - 0.003v^2}= dt[/tex]
[tex] \int\frac{dv}{10 \frac{m}{s^{2}} - 0.003v^2}= \int dt[/tex]

Thank you so much! this helps greatly!

I assume you are able to solve separable differential equations right?

Well, no. But you got me to a place where I can start learning.

Alright. I completely understand the math thanks to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHlSB6b1HU".

But I have one more q before I call it a day. How exactly did integrating give us the answer in seconds?

Let me guess and tell me how wrong I am: by getting F=ma down to an acceleration equation we found the integral of the acceleration equation to get the velocity equation. We were able to do this by getting the v's on one side and the t's on the other. Once we integrated both sides we found the velocity equation. Solving the equation for v=(58) we found that t=17.5498 seconds.

Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Theorγ said:
Set up the sum of forces:
[tex]\Sigma F = F_{g} - F_{A}[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma F = (100 kg)(10 \frac{m}{s^{2}}) - 0.3v^2[/tex]
[tex] ma= (100 kg)(10 \frac{m}{s^{2}}) - 0.3v^2[/tex]
[tex] a= \frac{(100 kg)(10 \frac{m}{s^{2}}) - 0.3v^2}{m}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}= 10 \frac{m}{s^{2}} - 0.003v^2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dv}{10 \frac{m}{s^{2}} - 0.003v^2}= dt[/tex]
[tex] \int\frac{dv}{10 \frac{m}{s^{2}} - 0.003v^2}= \int dt[/tex]

It does not make sense to write an integral such as
[tex]
\displaystyle
\int\frac{dv}{10 \frac{m}{s^{2}} - 0.003v^2}= \int dt[/tex].
If you gave this to a computer algebra package, it would assume that "m" and "s" are some constants, and would give you an answer involving them in an incorrect way. For example, Maple gives the integral as
[tex]
\displaystyle
\frac{5.773502692\, s \, \mbox{ arctanh}( \frac{.01732050808 s v}{\sqrt{m}} )}{\sqrt{m}}
[/tex]

You need to remove the "units" inside the integral---after all, you don't have any units in the "0.003 v^2" or in the "dv" parts.

RGV

Whops my bad, Vickson is right about removing the units, although I only placed them there initially so you would know where those numbers came from. The solution of the left integral would just actually come from partial fractions method though.

I understood about the values, but thanks for the heads up!

I finished my paper and I was wondering, if you all had the time, to look at page 3 and the bottom of page 5 to make sure I properly explained the integration aspect.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B4NW_8WLoKvwMmViMzFkOWYtNTM3NS00ZmU0LWI5OTgtYzk5ZDIwYWQyYTM5&hl=en_US&authkey=CNLHqaMP

Theorγ said:

If the terminal velocity is 58 m/s then it takes infinite time to reach it. And of course infinite distance. But of course the diver would hit the ground first.

If you do the integrations in post 6 you will get tterminal = tanh-1(1)/√(cg) = ∞
where c = 0.003 according to post 6.

mcovalt said:
I understood about the values, but thanks for the heads up!

I finished my paper and I was wondering, if you all had the time, to look at page 3 and the bottom of page 5 to make sure I properly explained the integration aspect.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B4NW_8WLoKvwMmViMzFkOWYtNTM3NS00ZmU0LWI5OTgtYzk5ZDIwYWQyYTM5&hl=en_US&authkey=CNLHqaMP

Link won't open.

ehild said:
. . . we found that t=17.5498 seconds.

Correct?

Well, one person got that answer, and rude man has posted a quite different answer.

Terminal velocity means the velocity at the end of time and time never ends... More precisely terminal velocity is the limit of velocity when the time goes to infinity. It is a constant, when the acceleration is zero, that is, when the forces - gravity and air drag balance each other.

In this problem, ∑F=mg-kv2, and it is zero when v2=mg/k=1000/0.3, that is [itex]v_∞=\sqrt{mg/k}=57.74 m/s[/itex], not 58 m/s. If the skydriver's initial speed is zero, its speed will increase and tends to v. If the initial speed is greater than that, it will slow down and the speed tends to vagain. If it happens to travel with the initial speed it will be unchanged.

Solving the differential equation, you get [tex]\ \ln|\frac{v_∞+v}{v_∞-v}|-\ln|\frac{v_∞+v_0}{v_∞-v_0}|=\frac{2gt}{v_∞}[/tex], (v0 is the initial velocity), that is[tex]\frac{(v_∞+v)(v_∞-v_0)}{(v_∞-v)(v_∞+v_0)}=e^{2gt/v_∞}[/tex]

As the exponential function on the right side is never negative, v_∞-v has the same sign as v_∞-v_0. If the initial speed is less than the terminal speed, the speed can never exceed the terminal speed.
ehild

Or simply

t = (v/g)tanh-1(v/v) and

v = (v)tanh(gt/v).

Assuming initial v = 0.

It's possible the teacher wanted to see if students know, conceptually, that the velocity approaches the terminal value without ever reaching it.

Sure, the intention of the teacher was to see if the students knew what terminal velocity was... He gave the terminal velocity (58 m/s) and asked when would be the speed equal to 58 m/s. But the thread went aside by performing the integration (although it was useful for the OP). As the terminal velocity v(terminal)= sqrt(mg/k) was not the given value (58 m/s), integration gave a finite time by substituting v=58 m/s but keeping v(terminal)= sqrt(mg/k) although v was greater than that. That confused a few people posting to the thread.

ehild

Last edited:

1. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is Vt = √[(2mg)/(ρAC)], where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid through which the object is falling, A is the projected area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

2. What factors affect the time it takes to achieve terminal velocity?

The time it takes to achieve terminal velocity is affected by the mass, shape, and density of the object, as well as the properties of the fluid through which it is falling, such as density and viscosity.

3. Can an object reach terminal velocity in a vacuum?

No, an object cannot reach terminal velocity in a vacuum because there is no fluid or air resistance to slow it down. Terminal velocity can only be achieved when the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity.

4. Does the altitude affect the time it takes to achieve terminal velocity?

Yes, altitude can affect the time it takes to achieve terminal velocity. At higher altitudes, the air is less dense, so an object will fall more slowly and take longer to reach terminal velocity compared to at lower altitudes.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the time it takes to achieve terminal velocity?

The shape of an object affects the time it takes to achieve terminal velocity because it determines the object's drag coefficient. Objects with a streamlined shape, such as a skydiver with their arms and legs close to their body, will reach terminal velocity faster than objects with a less streamlined shape, such as a flat sheet of paper.