Is Predicting the Future of the Universe a Waste of Time?

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the video discusses the idea that the universe has a purpose, and that it may end someday.
ergospherical
If you have half an hour to spare... I found quite a cool video. 😄
(sprinkled with David Attenborough, Brian Cox, NdGT soundbites hehe)

my favourite bit's at around 17:00... when black hole go "brrrr" 😌

• Informative
Likes berkeman, PeroK and Hamiltonian
Physics news on Phys.org
Very interesting! Thanks.

Too bad that whoever did the sound mixing flunked Audio 101. I had to kill most of the audio bandwidth to catch the commentary. :oops:

Coincidentally I watched this recently. What is the point of it all, one wonders?

Likes Hamiltonian and gleem
PeroK said:
Coincidentally I watched this recently. What is the point of it all, one wonders?
If you are thinking about what the point of the universe is, then apparently the scientists here suggest it could be to allow sufficiently intelligent life an incentive to make a baby universe. Not a bad purpose as purposes come, but as an engineer I foresee this will either require some extraordinary skillset and finesse, unless of course it happens as an unintended consequence of some advanced science experiment. Kind of like it can happen for humans after a drunken night in town. But that is purpose too, I guess.

Filip Larsen said:
Kind of like it can happen for humans after a drunken night in town.
That made me laugh! :smile:

D.A. said:
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

• Wow
Likes 256bits, DennisN and berkeman
So as the universe expands forever, the temperature drops to 0K and all matter and energy cease to exist.
Seems like the universe in this progression suffers a decrease in entropy along the way.

Are we done now with predicting the future of the universe? Did Frank Tipler in his book, The Physics of Immortality, waste his time on the premise of a closed universe? If we do discover in the next billion years or so that the universe can be made to close because we prefer that outcome (which we will do as it is beautiful) will his book be any more relevant or will it remain in the trash bin for bad physics, or well, you know for what other reason.

1. What is a time-lapse of the future?

A time-lapse of the future is a visual representation of how the world may change and evolve over a certain period of time, using sped-up footage or animation. It gives a glimpse into potential advancements, developments, and transformations that could occur in the future.

2. How is a time-lapse of the future created?

A time-lapse of the future is created by using computer simulations, scientific data, and predictions to create a visual representation of potential future events. It can also be created using real footage and sped-up to show changes over time.

3. Can a time-lapse of the future be accurate?

While a time-lapse of the future is based on scientific research and predictions, it is important to remember that it is still just a representation of what may happen. The future is unpredictable and constantly changing, so a time-lapse can only provide an estimation of potential outcomes.

4. What can we learn from a time-lapse of the future?

A time-lapse of the future can help us understand the potential consequences of our actions and decisions in the present. It can also inspire us to think about the impact of our choices on the future and encourage us to work towards creating a better future for ourselves and the planet.

5. Is a time-lapse of the future only used for entertainment purposes?

No, a time-lapse of the future can also be used for educational and informative purposes. It can help scientists and researchers visualize and communicate their findings and predictions in a more engaging and understandable way. It can also help policymakers and decision-makers plan for the future and make informed choices.