Exploring the Possibility of a Time Machine

In summary, the conversation touches on the concept of a time machine and its potential for travel to the past or future. Various proposals and theories are mentioned, such as Tipler's rotating cylinder and Gott's time machine based on cosmic strings. The idea of using wormholes for time travel is also brought up, but some participants express doubts about the possibility and potential consequences of time travel. Ultimately, it is agreed that time travel may be a concept that is not achievable in reality.
benzun_1999
Time machine...

Dear Reader,

The Time machine has always been a fantacy. i fell though it is a Fantacy it can be achieved one day, though not to the past maybe to the future. I hope someone will be interested in discussing about it.

-benzun
All For God.

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by benzun_1999
Dear Reader,

The Time machine has always been a fantacy. i fell though it is a Fantacy it can be achieved one day, though not to the past maybe to the future. I hope someone will be interested in discussing about it.

-benzun
All For God.

This would probably fit a little better in the Time Travel sub-forum, benzun.

Good point, Mentat. I'll put it there.

The two more interesting proposals are Tipler's rotating cylinder, and Gott's time machine based in cosmic strings. They both are based in the concept of closed timelike curve. You would end a bit dizzy in both cases,though!
Recently, it has been proposed the Ori-Soen time machine, but I don't know how it works

Btw, in general relativity, a closed timelike curve is a worldline that a particle or person can follow which ends at the same spacetime point (the same position and time) as it started

Wormhole

I read in a book that using wormholes Time travel is posible. how?

i don't think we will ever be able to achieve time travel for 2 reasons...
time isn't an element in itself, it doesn't keep a record of itself...

and time travel would ruin the world, nothing would ever happen... hitler would be assasinated, then his assasin would be assasinated the day before... we would end up living in a world with no time travel, like the one we have now

i think time travel is our modern day alchemy... a waste of time

The time mechine isn't in right but perhaps in some big valus mistake

Right, it is nature, to travel in space only and time is go front naturely.
as this reason, some big value time mistake and structure for time travel is right or permit direction .

What is a time machine?

A time machine is a hypothetical device that would allow an individual to travel through time, either to the past or to the future.

Is time travel possible?

At this time, time travel is only possible in theory and has not been scientifically proven. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible in the future with advanced technology and understanding of physics.

What are the potential consequences of time travel?

The consequences of time travel are unknown and highly debated. Some theories suggest that it could create paradoxes and alter the course of history, while others propose that there may be alternate timelines or parallel universes.

What research has been done on time travel?

There have been many scientific theories and experiments conducted on the concept of time travel, but no tangible evidence has been found yet. Some areas of research include studying the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics.

Are there any existing time machines?

No, there are currently no known or functioning time machines. Any claims of a time machine are likely hoaxes or based on unproven theories.