Time Management - Ideas to Help High Schoolers?

In summary: Just a heads up, I'm a slow learner by nature.In summary, this person struggles with time management because they are trying to do too much at once and they found it difficult to keep up with their studies. They recommend putting themselves on a schedule and making studying a priority.
Mépris
Right guys, don't flame me for this - I did search this sub-forum before attempting to create the thread.

How do you go about managing your time? I'm finding it hard, right now, while still in high school, to study what I have to for school (mainly Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics) as well as learn about things I am interested in - like American/European history in general, economics, sociology/anthropology as well as novels. And that's coming from someone who doesn't have much of a social life - I don't meet friends outside of school that much and I despise "clubbing" with a passion. ;)

Question's about as straightforward as it could get, really. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thy Apathy said:
Right guys, don't flame me for this - I did search this sub-forum before attempting to create the thread.

How do you go about managing your time? I'm finding it hard, right now, while still in high school, to study what I have to for school (mainly Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics) as well as learn about things I am interested in - like American/European history in general, economics, sociology/anthropology as well as novels. And that's coming from someone who doesn't have much of a social life - I don't meet friends outside of school that much and I despise "clubbing" with a passion. ;)

Question's about as straightforward as it could get, really. Any ideas?

I'm pretty horrible with time management but the golden rule I use is to just get the important **** done first and then whatever else second. That's about as brief as i can make it.

Yeah, I try to start working on things as soon as I get them, especially the most important tasks. But, there is always something that or someone who derails all that, and I usually end up "just in time."

:grumpy:

yes, prioritise, and when you get time, just do it. even if you don't get time, squeeze it in - time expands :)
oh and don't take showers anymore - reduce grooming time.

nucleargirl said:

:eek:

And you wonder why you're single? :uhh:

I know what my first response will be in your next relationship thread! :wink:

nucleargirl said:
yes, prioritise, and when you get time, just do it. even if you don't get time, squeeze it in - time expands :)

You traveling on a beam of light?

Haha cutting out showers. I know the science and engineering types are analytic and optimizing but that takes the cake.

I have went through week long periods, albeit two of them (max.), where I haven't showered. I have no reasonable excuse for them, other than laziness and frankly, it was ****ing horrible. My stench, that is.

Yes, I've been prioritising my work as of late. I have (short) assessments at school throughout the week and I didn't do much, besides for Maths. I tried cramming for Chemistry and I'd be damn lucky if I scraped a pass. I digress, point is, I've been wanting to do too much in too little time and I shouldn't be frustrated for not being able to do it - some people still do it while having full/part-time jobs. And that too, with more complex work. Anyway, other tips you guys have?

Last edited:
Thy Apathy said:
I have went through week long periods, albeit two of them (max.), where I haven't showered. I have no reasonable excuse for them, other than laziness and frankly, it was ****ing horrible. My stench, that is.

Yes, I've been prioritising my work as of late. I have (short) assessments at school throughout the week and I didn't do much, besides for Maths. I tried cramming for Chemistry and I'd be damn lucky if I scraped a pass. I digress, point is, I've been wanting to do too much in too little time and I shouldn't be frustrated for not being able to do it - some people still do it while having full/part-time jobs. And that too, with more complex work. Anyway, other tips you guys have?

What worked for me was putting myself on a schedule. I would study at a certain time and at a certain place, no lame excuses. You make it to class regularly, right? Well this study date should be of equal importance. Make it a priority!

lisab said:
What worked for me was putting myself on a schedule. I would study at a certain time and at a certain place, no lame excuses. You make it to class regularly, right? Well this study date should be of equal importance. Make it a priority!

Thank you Lisa. I will do just that. Funny how I see this post just (fifteen minutes tops?) as I found the motivation to keep working. I'll work till the point I find myself repeating things and not really understanding what's going on and trying to remember my own name...or when I finish all 5-6 chapters. Whichever comes first.

Edit:

http://www.rcnuwc.org/ibphysics/classNotes/Notes1.html [Broken]

I'm using these and according my syllabus, the bulk of it is in there and I'm not having a hard time grasping the concepts. Well, that's what I think anyway. I'll know how things pan out by noon tomorrow. In any case, now's the best time to flush my bad habits down the toilet like used condoms. ;)

Edit II:

I DO GO TO CLASS. I'm still in high school!

Last edited by a moderator:
nucleargirl said:
hey, we share this aspect.
i don't quite think people may want to know how long i go w/o a bath or change clothes. :tongue:
i live in the tropics.

back to the topic, apathy, weekends are great time to make up, if you run short of time during the week.
try to enjoy doing the stuff you want to do, you enjoy them more than other enjoyable stuff you may be spending time on(sports, gaming,...)

Last edited:
At this rate, I don't really care if I mess up the exam. I feel satisfied with the amount of work I've put in. I'll do better next time. : D

If I do mess up, and right now, I won't know what's happened inside the box till I open it, so to speak, it's going to be, I think, because I haven't been able to apply the concepts I've learned, not because I didn't know them. In which case, I clearly will have to work more.

Thank you for the words of encouragement and/or advice.

High school aren't that demanding and you shouldn't be putting lots of time. Do concentrate on volunteer/club activities also. You wouldn't have that much time for them during college but the skills you get from them will be very valuable.

As for college, I am quite flexible. I sit and try to beat every of my courses weekly material to death on weekly basis.

rootX said:
High school aren't that demanding and you shouldn't be putting lots of time. Do concentrate on volunteer/club activities also. You wouldn't have that much time for them during college but the skills you get from them will be very valuable.

As for college, I am quite flexible. I sit and try to beat every of my courses weekly material to death on weekly basis.

Well, considering I'm doing IB, most of my courses are, I'm guessing, to the same level as introductory college courses. Yeah, definitely - these would help me acquire lots of skills which could come in handy. Hell, social interaction alone would be great for me, considering my social skills are sub-par.

Beat them to death? Elaborate a little on that, please? Also, which courses are you studying, that you found to be hard?

Oh and with regards to the box; the cat is dead. Well, the rest of the class did pretty badly too, it seems. I don't really find this comforting at all but I guess it's better than ****ing up alone. Then again, you can never trust all of them. There's always some guys who complain about not revising or not working well at all and they're the ones who end up with near-max. grades. :\

At any rate, trying to learn 5 chapters in a few hours failed, as expected...

Keep yourself organized, making a 'to do' list, with the most important things at the top of your list. Try and utilize the first open time period in your day to get this work done. Really focus during that time to get the things you need done. Try and leave the night for things that you enjoy - be it a TV show, reading, or going to bed early. If you force yourself to do the work early on, you feel good relaxing later - or using that time to get ahead for the week!

Everyone, thank you very much for your input. I find that I do like working (although there's the odd case where I feel like killing myself (not serious btw), haha) - I've just been stressed as eff this week. But thanks. : D

Thy Apathy said:
Everyone, thank you very much for your input. I find that I do like working (although there's the odd case where I feel like killing myself (not serious btw), haha) - I've just been stressed as eff this week. But thanks. : D

Nested parentheticals. Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I balance my school work and extracurricular activities?

One way to balance your school work and extracurricular activities is to create a schedule or a planner. Prioritize your tasks and allocate time for both school work and extracurricular activities. Also, make sure to take breaks and avoid overcommitting to too many activities.

2. What are some effective study techniques for managing time?

Some effective study techniques for managing time include setting specific goals for each study session, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, and using active learning strategies such as summarizing and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to eliminate distractions and find a quiet study space.

3. How can I avoid procrastination and manage my time more efficiently?

To avoid procrastination, try breaking tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks and setting specific deadlines for each chunk. Also, eliminate distractions and create a conducive study environment. Additionally, prioritize your tasks and reward yourself for completing them on time.

4. How can I handle unexpected events or tasks while managing my time?

It is important to be flexible and adaptable when unexpected events or tasks arise. One strategy is to build buffer time into your schedule to account for unexpected events. Additionally, learn to say no to tasks that may interfere with your priorities and delegate tasks when possible.

5. What are some long-term strategies for improving time management skills?

Some long-term strategies for improving time management skills include setting long-term goals and breaking them down into smaller, achievable tasks. Also, regularly evaluate your time management techniques and make adjustments as needed. Additionally, learn to prioritize tasks and avoid overcommitting to activities. Finally, practice self-care and make time for rest and relaxation to avoid burnout.