Time Measurement in Moving Frames: Synchronization and Experimental Techniques

In summary, two doubts were raised about whether it is possible to synchronize clocks at different positions in a particular frame. The first doubts asked whether it is possible to synchronize a clock in S and another in M, and if so, how to do it. The second doubts asked whether it is possible to measure the time of an event at distance using physical reasoning and not using Lorentz transformation. It was clarified that there is no physical or experimental way for an observer to measure the time of a distant event without making an arbitrary assumption. Einstein's synchronization convention is based on one such assumption, that the time it takes for light to travel from the observer to the distant event is the same time as it takes for light to travel from the distant
wizrdofvortex
Two doubts...

1. Consider two frames S and M, the latter moving at constant velocity v wrt S. I know that it's possible to synchronize clocks at different positions in a particular frame. But is it possible to synchronize a clock in S and another in M, and if so, how to do it?

2. Suppose we represent coordinates by x, t in S and X, T in M. For t = 0, T = 0, and at t = T = 0, the origins of the two systems coincide.

Now an observer in M can measure the time of an event at distance X1 as follows: if he receives a light signal from that event at time T1, the time of that event will be (T1 - (X1/c)).

My question is, how can an observer in S at the origin of S experimentally measure the time of the same event (by PHYSICAL reasoning and not using Lorentz transformation)?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the distance between S' origin and X1?
Can it be assumed to be (X1-(v*T))?

_PJ_ said:
What's the distance between S' origin and X1?
Can it be assumed to be (X1-(v*T))?

I'll clarify: X1 is the position (x-coordinate) of the event as measured by an observer in M. I don't think it can be assumed to be (X1-(v*T)).

wizrdofvortex said:
My question is, how can an observer in S at the origin of S experimentally measure the time of the same event (by PHYSICAL reasoning and not using Lorentz transformation)?
There is no consistent or meaningful physical or experimental way for an observer to measure the time of a distant event (it doesn't matter whether it is of a moving object or not) without making an arbitrary assumption. Einstein's synchronization convention is based on one such arbitrary assumption, that the time it takes for light to travel from the observer to the distant event is the same time as it takes for light to travel from the distant event to the observer. Once this convention is established for multiple frames in relative motion, you can use the Lorentz Transform to see what the co-ordinates in one frame look like in another frame. There is no physical or experimental way to sidestep an arbitrary establishment of a convention to resolve the problem of defining the time of a distant event.

Okay, to see if I'm understanding you correctly, I made a simple graph (don't laugh, I'm no artist :D )

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickyandlaura/graph.jpg

Distance is on the X axis, and Time on Y, with the event occurring at Y=0, X1
The future light-cone for the event is visible to M at T(M) and to S at T(S). S is stationary at X=0, whilst M moves at constant velocity, v

The gradient of the light-cone sides have magnitude c

TS=SQR((v*T(M)-c^2)) + T(M)

Provided S knows M's velocity, then T(M) can be calculated by S.

There's no guarantee of synchronicity of their clocks, though, since M is moving wrt S

Last edited by a moderator:
ghwellsjr said:
There is no consistent or meaningful physical or experimental way for an observer to measure the time of a distant event (it doesn't matter whether it is of a moving object or not) without making an arbitrary assumption. Einstein's synchronization convention is based on one such arbitrary assumption, that the time it takes for light to travel from the observer to the distant event is the same time as it takes for light to travel from the distant event to the observer. Once this convention is established for multiple frames in relative motion, you can use the Lorentz Transform to see what the co-ordinates in one frame look like in another frame. There is no physical or experimental way to sidestep an arbitrary establishment of a convention to resolve the problem of defining the time of a distant event.

I see... actually I was trying to arrive at a derivation of Lorentz transformation without using Minkowski space-time diagrams.

I came across the following in relation to that:

(Again using the same convention, x, t for S and X, T for M:)

for X = 0 and arbitrary T as measured in M,
x = vt (OR x = (v/c)*(ct) ) (1)

and for T = 0 and arbitrary X as measured in M,

x*(v/c) = ct. (2)

(1) and (2) were arrived at by referring to Minkowski diagrams (c/v being the slope), but I wanted to understand how these equations are arrived at using physical reasoning (also Minkowski diagrams do not reflect the complete physical picture). That is to say, how would one arrive at these relations without the assistance of such diagrams?

wizrdofvortex said:
x*(v/c) = ct. (2)
Shouldn't this be x*(c/v) = ct ?

ghwellsjr said:
Shouldn't this be x*(c/v) = ct ?

No, with units taken such that c = 1, the equations were :

vt - x = 0, for X = 0, which becomes : (v/c)*ct = x (T-axis in Minkowski diagram)

vx - t = 0, for T = 0, which is : (v/c)*x = ct (X-axis in Minkowski diag)

1. What is time measurement?

Time measurement is the process of quantifying the duration of events or the intervals between them. It is used to track the passage of time and to compare the duration of different events.

2. Why is time measurement important?

Time measurement is important because it allows us to organize and structure our lives. It helps us keep track of appointments, deadlines, and schedules. It is also crucial in fields such as science, engineering, and transportation, where precise timing is essential.

3. How is time measured?

Time can be measured using various units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years. These units are based on the rotation of the Earth (days), its orbit around the sun (years), and the vibrations of a cesium atom (seconds). Other methods of time measurement include sundials, hourglasses, and atomic clocks.

4. Has time measurement always been the same?

No, time measurement has evolved over time. In ancient civilizations, time was measured using instruments such as sundials and water clocks. The modern concept of time measurement using standardized units and precise instruments was developed in the 17th and 18th centuries.

5. Can time be measured beyond the concept of a day or year?

Yes, time can be measured beyond the concept of a day or year. In science, time is measured on a much smaller scale, such as nanoseconds and picoseconds. On the other hand, cosmologists study time on a much larger scale, such as billions of years. The concept of time can also be explored in philosophical and psychological contexts, going beyond the physical measurement of time.