Time Measurement: Vibration of Photon vs Atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time being relative and how measuring time using the vibration of an atom may not be the most accurate method. The suggestion is made to measure time using the frequency of photons instead. However, there is a debate about which photon would be the best standard for measuring time and the potential effects of the Doppler effect.
bassplayer142
After I realized that relativity slowed and speeds up time relative to the frame of reference I realized that time is not absolute. Why would we continue to measure time as the vibration of an atom. Wouldn't we start measuring time by the vibration of a photon? Since a photon is absolute no matter where in the universe it is and it stays constant for that wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
bassplayer142 said:
After I realized that relativity slowed and speeds up time relative to the frame of reference I realized that time is not absolute. Why would we continue to measure time as the vibration of an atom. Wouldn't we start measuring time by the vibration of a photon? Since a photon is absolute no matter where in the universe it is and it stays constant for that wavelength.

which photon would you choose as a standard for a unit of time?

be very careful answering that. if you say "photons of blue visable light" then i would ask how you define blue? if blue photons are the photons that make it through some standardized blue filter, then you're back to defining this in terms of the atoms of some material.

measuring time

bassplayer142 said:

Why not measure time using as an unit the period of the electromagnetic oscillations taking place in the electromagnetic wave in which we are immersed? Besides that we should now which kind of time interval we measure: proper time or coordinate time.

To measure time, you need photons of known fixed wavelength, so that you know the frequency. If you are moving in reference to the source, that changes the frequency (doppler effect), but that's not a problem in atomic clocks. So you use a specific atomic vibration, with a specific energy, to generate the photons of fixed frequency.

Last edited:
rbj said:
which photon would you choose as a standard for a unit of time?
To measure cosmological time:

Select a photon sampled from the peak emission intensity of the CMB corrected for the Earth's dipole movement.

Then the universe woul be eternal, and if c is defined constant and used to measure radar distance, the universe would also be static, as in the Jordan conformal frame of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-creation_cosmology .

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess your right about the doppler effect. It just doesn't seem right to measure time with something that changes.

bassplayer142 said:
I guess your right about the doppler effect. It just doesn't seem right to measure time with something that changes.

You don't get any Doppler effect if you are not moving wrt the source. In metrology, your clock is supposed to be infinitely small and to lie at rest no farther away from your elbow. So, no Doppler effect, of ny sort.

What is the difference between measuring time using the vibration of photons and atoms?

The main difference between measuring time using the vibration of photons and atoms is the frequency at which they vibrate. Photons, which are particles of light, vibrate at a much higher frequency compared to atoms. This means that photons can be used to measure shorter periods of time, such as nanoseconds, while atoms are better suited for longer time measurements, such as seconds.

How do scientists measure time using the vibration of photons?

Scientists use a device called a laser interferometer to measure the vibration of photons. This device splits a laser beam into two beams and then recombines them. By measuring the interference pattern created by the two beams, scientists can determine the time it takes for the photons to vibrate.

Why is measuring time using the vibration of atoms more accurate?

Measuring time using the vibration of atoms is more accurate because atoms have a more stable and uniform vibration frequency compared to photons. This means that the measurement of time using atoms is less susceptible to external factors that may affect the vibration of photons, such as temperature or electromagnetic fields.

What are some practical applications of measuring time using the vibration of photons and atoms?

The ability to accurately measure time using the vibration of photons and atoms has many practical applications. For example, it is used in atomic clocks, which are essential for precise timekeeping in GPS systems, telecommunications, and scientific research. It is also used in the development of technologies such as quantum computers and ultrafast lasers.

Can time measurement using the vibration of photons and atoms be used for time travel?

No, time measurement using the vibration of photons and atoms cannot be used for time travel. This is because time measurement only allows us to accurately measure the passage of time, but it does not provide a way to manipulate or control time. The concept of time travel remains theoretical and is not possible with our current understanding of time measurement.