Time of boat completing round trip

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat Time
In summary, the boat would take 1,25 hours to complete the same round trip if the speed of the flow is 2 times smaller.
Kamataat
A boat made a round trip of 3km on a river in 2h. The speed of the river's flow was 1m/s. In what time will the boat complete the same round trip, if the speed of the flow is 2 times smaller?

I suck at these kinds of questions, so would anybody please help me out here?

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the boat would move at a constant speed [tex]v[/tex] if there were no current.

What is the speed of the boat on each leg of the trip?

W/o current, it's 1,5km/h. With current it's [itex]v + v_{water} = 1,5 km/h[/itex]?

- Kamataat

Last edited:
You need to be a little bit more careful. I am asking, in the situation where, when there is a current of 1 m/s, it takes the boat 2h to complete the trip, what speed [tex]v[/tex] must the boat be capable of traveling at neglecting current?

Hint: On one leg of the trip, the speed of the boat is [tex]v + 1\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}}[/tex], and on the other, [tex]v - 1\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}}[/tex].

I don't get this. It must be able to travel at 1,5km/h? Then it's 1,5km/h-1m/s on one leg and 1,5km/h+1m/s on the other leg. That's what I said in my last post (sort of).

EDIT: I already got as far as your hint on my own, but replacing 1m/s with 0,5m/s in these formulas still gives me 2h for the round trip.

EDIT2: Aaaargh. The 1,4 and 1,6 km/h figures were wrong. I realize this.

- Kamataat

Last edited:
1m/s = 3,6km/h

So I have to figure out [itex]v[/itex] and then replace 3,6km/h with 1,8km/h in your hint forulas? And then for each leg of 1,5km I have to do [itex]1,5/v_{hint}[/itex] to get the time it took to complete that leg?

- Kamataat

Last edited:
Anybody? :cry:

You keep trying to do each leg separately and you can't: you don't know what time each leg took.

If v is the speed of the boat in still water, then going upstream, its speed is v-1 so it would take 1500/(v-1) s to go 1500 m upstream. Going downstream, its speed is v+1 so it would take 1500/(v+1) s to go 1500 m downstream. The total round trip would take 1500/(v+1)+ 1500/(v-1) seconds. We are told that it actually takes 2 hours= 7200 seconds to do that: solve 1500/(v+1)+ 1500/(v-1)= 7200 to find the speed in still water.

Now I have a question: what, exactly, is meant by "2 times smaller"? That's peculiar wording. Two times anything makes it larger, not smaller! I could see that being interpreted as either "1/2 as fast" or "1/3 as fast".

You can probably guess that the original excercise wasn't written in English. "Two times smaller" in my language means 1/2 times the original size, "three times smaller" would be 1/3 times the original size and so on...

I solved for "v" in the equation you gave and then plugged it in and by replacing 1m/s with 0,5m/s got an answer that is not right according to the excercise book. The correct answer should be 1,25h.

Since solving for "v" resulted in a quadratic equation, I got two values for "v". One "v" gave 48min as the final answer and the other 98min.

- Kamataat

I found out at what speed the river must flow for the book's answer to be correct, and it isn't 0,5m/s. Can we conclude from this that the book has the wrong answer?

I'm just asking this because I want to be sure that I've done everything correctly.

- Kamataat

1. How is the "Time of boat completing round trip" calculated?

The "Time of boat completing round trip" is calculated by taking the difference between the time the boat returns to its starting point and the time it departed for the trip. This gives the total duration of the round trip.

2. Does the "Time of boat completing round trip" include stops or breaks?

Yes, the "Time of boat completing round trip" includes any stops or breaks taken during the trip. It is the total time from departure to return, including any pauses or delays.

3. Can the "Time of boat completing round trip" vary?

Yes, the "Time of boat completing round trip" can vary depending on external factors such as weather conditions, water currents, and the speed of the boat. It can also vary depending on the route taken and any stops or detours made during the trip.

4. How accurate is the "Time of boat completing round trip" calculation?

The accuracy of the "Time of boat completing round trip" calculation depends on the accuracy of the timekeeping device used to record the departure and return times. It can also be affected by human error and external factors that may cause delays or changes in the trip duration.

5. Why is it important to track the "Time of boat completing round trip"?

Tracking the "Time of boat completing round trip" is important for keeping accurate records of boat trips and for planning future trips. It can also be used to estimate the fuel consumption and operating costs of the boat, as well as to monitor the efficiency and performance of the boat and its crew.