Is the Time of Orbit for a Satellite Above Mars Really 800 Million Years?

• Thread starter Xanthippus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit Time
In summary, using the given equation, the approximate time of orbit of a satellite orbiting above the center of Mars is 2529.8 seconds. The initial calculation was incorrect but has been corrected. This results in a much faster orbit than originally thought.
Xanthippus

Homework Statement

We have been asked to work out the approximate time of orbit, T, of a satellite orbiting above the centre of Mars, radius 4000km.

Homework Equations

We have been given the equation:

R^3/T^2 =1x〖10〗^13 m^3 s^(-2)

The Attempt at a Solution

When using the equation:

T=√((4x〖10〗^6 )^3/〖1x10〗^13 )

I get an answer of 2.53 x 10^16 seconds and I don't understand how something that seems to be accelerating so fast turns out to be taking 800 million years to orbit mars. Is my math just totally wrong?

EDIT: That maths was wrong I'm pretty sure, I now have an answer of 2529.8 seconds which is pretty fast for an orbit of Mars but 1x10^13 m^3 s^-2 is a hell of an acceleration.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Xanthippus! :smile:
Xanthippus said:
EDIT: That maths was wrong I'm pretty sure, I now have an answer of 2529.8 seconds …

I think you're √10 out :wink:

I don't see where...

T=√((〖4x10〗^6 )^3/〖1x10〗^13 )

T=√(〖64x10〗^18/〖1x10〗^13 )

T=√(〖64x10〗^5 )

T=2529.8s

oops!

sorry, you're right! :redface:

I would like to point out that the equation given in the homework is not the correct one for calculating the time of orbit of a satellite above Mars. The equation given, R^3/T^2 =1x〖10〗^13 m^3 s^(-2), is actually the third Kepler's law for planetary motion, which relates the orbital period (T) of a planet or satellite to its distance from the central body (R).

The correct equation for calculating the time of orbit for a satellite above Mars would be T=2π√(a^3/GM), where a is the semi-major axis of the satellite's orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of Mars.

Using this equation, we can calculate the time of orbit for a satellite at a distance of 4000km above the center of Mars. Assuming a circular orbit, the semi-major axis (a) would be equal to the radius of Mars plus the altitude of the satellite, so a=4000km + 3390km = 7390km.

Plugging in these values, we get T=2π√((7390km)^3/(6.67x10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2)(6.39x10^23 kg)) = 5543 seconds, or approximately 1.54 hours.

This is a much more reasonable time frame for the orbit of a satellite above Mars, compared to the 800 million years mentioned in the original content. Therefore, it is safe to say that the time of orbit for a satellite above Mars is not 800 million years, and the math used in the attempt at a solution was incorrect.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the equation given in the homework, R^3/T^2 =1x〖10〗^13 m^3 s^(-2), is only applicable for planetary motion, where the central body is much more massive than the orbiting body. In the case of a satellite orbiting Mars, the mass of the satellite is not negligible compared to the mass of Mars, so the equation cannot be used. This highlights the importance of using the correct equations and understanding the underlying principles when solving scientific problems.

1. What is the "time of orbit" question?

The "time of orbit" question refers to the amount of time it takes for an object, such as a planet or satellite, to complete one full revolution around another object, such as a star or planet. It is a fundamental concept in the study of orbital mechanics and is used to calculate the orbital period of celestial bodies.

2. How is the time of orbit calculated?

The time of orbit is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. This means that the time of orbit can be determined by measuring the distance between the two objects and using it to calculate the orbital period.

3. Does the time of orbit vary for different objects?

Yes, the time of orbit can vary for different objects depending on their mass and distance from the object they are orbiting. For example, the time of orbit for a satellite orbiting Earth will be different than the time of orbit for a planet orbiting the Sun.

4. Can the time of orbit change over time?

Yes, the time of orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational pull from other objects, atmospheric drag, and tidal forces. These changes can cause the orbit to speed up or slow down, resulting in a shorter or longer time of orbit.

5. Why is knowing the time of orbit important?

Knowing the time of orbit is important for understanding the movements and interactions of celestial bodies in our universe. It also allows us to accurately predict the positions and movements of these objects, which is crucial for space exploration and navigation. Additionally, the time of orbit can provide valuable information about the mass and composition of objects in our solar system and beyond.