Time on the computer related to bad vision?

In summary: Both are too high for me for comfort, but I know plenty of other people who can handle it.Most people forget to blink while sitting at the computer, which can lead to eyestrain. You should also try to take a break every hour or so, or change positions. I used to have perfect vision, but now my vision has gotten worse over time due to the strain of using computers. I'll probably be getting glasses next month.
Euphoriet
Has anyone found a connection with computers and bad eyesight?

(sorry for being so vague .. but I am not able to exten my post at the moment)

Computer science news on Phys.org
My vision has been becoming worse, and I spend a lot of time on the computer. The eye doctor that I visited said that they're probably related.

Computers are a strain on the eyes, I don't know if they are related to bad vision though.

1. most people forget to blink while sitting at the computer
2. you're straining your eyes by looking at one focal plane for long periods of time

This can lead to strained eyes and a headache. While sitting at the computer you should try to blink and look around you once in a while, or take a tea/coffee break so that your eye gets some excercise by focussing on other things.

I used to have perfect vision. Now, 5 years after I started using computers, my vision's gotten worse. I'll probably be getting glasses next month. :frown:

Vision does not get better as you age.

Probably one of the better things you can do to relax your eyes while on the computer is to set your monitor's refresh rate as high as it will go. There's nothing worse than having to use someone else’s computer, only to find that their monitor's refresh rate is set to 60Hz! Unless you're computer’s resolution is at 640x480, this is unacceptable. Please people, 85Hz AT LEAST.

Monique said:
Vision does not get better as you age.

Not always the case. I had a friend who had terrible vision since he was an infant. He wore some of the thickest glasses I have ever seen. Anyway, by the time he turned 18, he didn't need glasses anymore.

I think it's because he had some sort of eye infection when he was younger that took a LONG time to clear up. His doctor told him that by the time he was 18 or 19 he wouldn't need glasses anymore, and he was right.

Ok, maybe you are right: some people's eyeballs have a deviant shape and this might correct as they age.. hypothetically? But generally for people with good eyesight, it will degrade over time.

Interesting... the reason I coudlnt post more yesterday was because I was tired... and it seems this is the case yet again .. today. =-/

Ok, I'm going to put this to rest or at least try. A computer might give you eyestrain, but it won't permenently worsen you vision. My parents have thick glasses, so does my brother and just about everyone in my family except for me. I have 20/15 vision and I've been playing games on the computer since I was 3. I'm 17 now and the time I spend on a computer has gone up exponentialy.

I agree, it will cause eyestrain, which is basically the muscles in your eye getting fatigued so it's harder to focus on other things. It's reversible. Either do as Monique suggested and take more breaks while working on the computer (those who study ergonomics suggest you just look up and focus on something else every once in a while, like when you need to stop and think about something before writing), or, if you just take a few days off from using the computer, the rest will help your eyes improve again if it's just eyestrain. Of course, yes, most people's vision will begin to decline with age, so it could just be coincidence that you need corrective lenses now. Eyestrain existed before the days of computers...the same will happen if you have your nose buried in books all day long ;-) That was my first experience with eyestrain, in high school, having to read all those novels they assigned, and usually trying to read them when I was tired.

Reading in the dark being bad for your eyes is a myth too, it just causes eyestrain.

Yeah I thought it had to do with not taking breaks.. heh and maybe refresh rate might have to do with it.. I guess I'll look up more now ;P ...

I've had my vision checked twice in recent years. Back when I was sixteen (I can't believe its been 8 years already) and here a few months ago when I got my motorcycle endorsement. Anyhow, I had 20/20 vision then, and I do now.

One thing I believe causes eye problems with computers is people insist on having horribly crappy monitor resolutions, 640x480, even 800x600 is crappy. The refresh rate is also very important, and few people know about it. Also, I don't think many "out of box" pc's come with monitors that support 85hz.

Personally, I can't stand my resolution to be any less then 1024x768, but I prefer 1280x1024. My bro uses some 1600=xsomething, but he has a huge monitor.

Anyhow, I'd say this particular myth is partly related to misuse of computers, coupled with the fact that many people sit in a dark room while using the pc, and people in general not knowing anything about refresh rates.

I have needed to wear glasses since I was 4 and in the last 12-13 years or so I watched a lot more tv and got computers etc and used them a lot but my eyesight has always been the same.

1. How does spending too much time on the computer affect my vision?

Spending excessive amounts of time on the computer can lead to a condition known as computer vision syndrome (CVS). This can cause symptoms such as eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision, dry eyes, and neck and shoulder pain.

2. Can staring at a computer screen for too long damage my eyes?

Prolonged use of digital screens can cause eye fatigue, which can lead to temporary vision changes. However, there is no evidence that it causes permanent damage to your eyes.

3. How can I prevent bad vision from using the computer?

To prevent or reduce the risk of eye strain and other vision problems from using the computer, it is important to take regular breaks, adjust the lighting, and position your screen properly. You can also try using the 20-20-20 rule, where every 20 minutes, look away from the screen at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

4. Are there any specific eye exercises I can do to improve my vision while using the computer?

There are various eye exercises that can help alleviate eye strain and improve vision. Some examples include blinking frequently, focusing on a distant object, and taking breaks to stretch and relax your eyes.

5. Are there any technological solutions to reduce eye strain from using the computer?

Yes, there are various technological solutions such as blue light filters, screen glare protectors, and ergonomic keyboards and mice that can help reduce eye strain and improve overall vision while using the computer.