Time Ordering Operator for Fermions & Bosons

In summary: textbooks), which states that the average expectation value of a function over a region in space is the sum of the vacuum expectation values of the individual functions inside the region.
kanato
As I understand it, the time ordering operator works as follows (for [tex]t<0[/tex]):
[tex]T c^\dagger(t) c(0) = -c(0) c^\dagger(t)[/tex] for fermions and
[tex]T c^\dagger(t) c(0) = c(0) c^\dagger(t)[/tex] for bosons.

Now suppose instead of these creation/annihilation operators, I had a more general commutation relation, ie [tex][d,d^\dagger] = S[/tex], how does the time ordering operator behave?

Edit: After rereading that, I should be more specific. I'm trying to formulate DMFT equations in a non-orthogonal basis. So the creation/annihilation operators anti-commute to give [d_a,d_b^\dagger]_+ = S_{a,b}. The Green's function is usually defined as [tex]G(\tau) = \langle T c(\tau) c^\dagger(0) \rangle[/tex] and I need to understand exactly what the time ordering operator does, but I'm not even totally sure how its really defined, because as I understand it above, it works differently for fermions and bosons.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time-ordering operator just orders time-dependent operators in a product according to their time arguments (from right to left in ascending order). They don't care about any commutators.

Your definition of the time-ordered Green's function is correct with this definition. The time-ordering comes into the game when solving the time-evolution equation for an explicitly time-dependent Hamiltonian. This happens, e.g., in the usual interaction picture, where the operators time-evolove according to the free Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}_0##, and the states with the interaction Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}_I##, and ##\hat{H}_I=\hat{H}_I(t)## is usually time-dependent. The time-evolution operator ##\hat{C}## for the states obeys the equation of motion
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \dot{\hat{C}}(t)=\hat{H}_I(t) \hat{C}(t),$$
which you cannot so easily integrate as it might look, because the Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}_I(t)## may not be commuting at different times.

The key to a (formal) solution is to rewrite the equation of motion (eom) in terms of an integral equation, working in the initial condition ##\hat{C}(t_0)=\hat{1}##. Integrating the eom then leads to
$$\hat{C}(t)=\hat{1} -\mathrm{i}/\hbar \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \hat{H}_I(t') \hat{C}(t').$$
Now you can solve this equation iteratively, i.e., you start with the (very crude) approximation ##\hat{C}_0(t)=\hat{1}## and plug this approximation into the right-hand side of the integral eom, giving you
$$\hat{C}_1(t)=\hat{1} - \mathrm{i}/\hbar \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_1).$$
This solution you plug again into the right-hand side of the integral eom giving
$$\hat{C}_2(t)=\hat{1} - \mathrm{i}/\hbar \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_1) + (-\mathrm{i}/\hbar)^2 \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_0}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1).$$
Now you can rewrite the final integral by reading it as a surface integal in the ##(t_1,t_2)## plane. Instead of integrating over ##t_2## first you can as well integrate over ##t_1## first (just draw the triangular integration region!)
$$\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_0}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1) = \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_1 \int_{t_1}^{t} \mathrm{d} t_2 \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1).$$
We always have to keep to Hamiltonian with the smaller time argument to the right. Now we rename the integration variables on the right-hand side of the equation and in another step use the time-ordering operator:
$$\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_0}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1) = \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_2}^{t} \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_1) \hat{H}_I(t_2)= \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_2}^{t} \mathrm{d} t_1 \mathcal{T} \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1).$$
Since we can also write a time ordering operator in front of the operator product on the left-hand side, we can just add the two equal integrals and divide by ##2##, leading to
$$\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_0}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1) = \frac{1}{2} \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_1 \mathcal{T} \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1).$$
This argument you can now iterate further, and finally you get as a formal solution of the eom
$$\hat{C}(t)=\mathcal{T} \exp \left [-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \hat{H}_I(t') \right].$$
Here you have to expand the exponential in its power series, giving each integral in the power another name of the time-integration variable, then the time-ordering symbol makes sense. The general correction of ##N##th order thus reads
$$\frac{1}{N!} \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \right)^N \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_N \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_{N-1} \cdots \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_1 \mathcal{T} \hat{H}_I (t_N) \hat{H}_I(t_{N-1}) \cdot \hat{H}(t_1).$$
The Green's function becomes important in evaluating these integrals because of Wick's theorem for vacuum expectation values (see any QFT textbook).

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn, yucheng, topsquark and 1 other person
In the penultimate expression by Vanhees71 the integral depends only on one time variable, so T becomes superfluous; simply integrate then exponentiate. Why keep T then?

Because this is an abstract notation only and not a simple integral. It is the result of a limiting procedure as vanhees71 has explained where actually an infinite number of in-between integrations have a fixed lower limit, but an upper limit which in turn is an integration variable in the next integration step, just as exemplified in the expression before.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and topsquark
vanhees71 said:
Now we rename the integration variables on the right-hand side of the equation and in another step use the time-ordering operator:
$$\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_0}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1) = \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_2}^{t} \mathrm{d} t_1 \hat{H}_I(t_1) \hat{H}_I(t_2)= \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_2 \int_{t_2}^{t} \mathrm{d} t_1 \mathcal{T} \hat{H}_I(t_2) \hat{H}_I(t_1).$$
Screenshot_20230102_165645_ReadEra.jpg
Hi Vanhees. Is this a typo in your book?, https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

• Love
Likes vanhees71
Thanks a lot of pointing this out. In (1.24) the time arguments have to be exchanged. It's always time-ordered, i.e., the operators are time-ordered from right to left. In (1.24) ##\tau_2>\tau_1##, i.e.,
$$A^{(2)}=\int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} \tau_1 \int_{\tau_1}^t \mathrm{d} \tau_2 \mathbf{X}(\tau_2) \mathbf{X}(\tau_1).$$
I also corrected the typo in the corresponding figure ;-).

Likes DrClaude and yucheng

What is a Time Ordering Operator?

A Time Ordering Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of particles. It is denoted by the symbol T and is used to rearrange the operators in an expression containing both fermionic and bosonic operators, according to the time at which they act.

How does the Time Ordering Operator work for Fermions and Bosons?

The Time Ordering Operator works differently for fermions and bosons. For fermions, the operators are rearranged in descending order of time, with the earliest operator on the right and the latest operator on the left. For bosons, the operators are rearranged in ascending order of time, with the earliest operator on the left and the latest operator on the right.

What is the significance of the Time Ordering Operator in quantum mechanics?

The Time Ordering Operator is significant because it allows us to accurately calculate the time evolution of quantum systems. It ensures that the operators are arranged in the correct order, taking into account the commutation and anti-commutation relations between fermions and bosons.

Can the Time Ordering Operator be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the Time Ordering Operator can be applied to any quantum system that contains both fermions and bosons. It is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and is used in a variety of applications, including calculating transition rates and scattering amplitudes.

Are there any limitations to the use of Time Ordering Operator?

There are some limitations to the use of Time Ordering Operator. It cannot be used for systems that do not contain both fermions and bosons. Additionally, it is only applicable to non-relativistic systems and cannot be used for systems described by the theory of relativity.