Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time paradox

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    Suppose an object "O" is travelling towards me at 90% speed of light which is placed at 1hr c away, then how much time in "MY Clock" would it take to reach me?
    I calculated it to be 1hr and 6 mts, am i right?
    But on the other hand I'm the one who is moving towards the object "O" so by time dilation I'll reach there in 26.16mts, which one is the correct answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. Assuming that the given distance the object had to travel is as measured by you.

Of course, as seen by an observer moving with the object, the distance you have to travel is shorter due to length contraction. Note also that that observer disagrees with how you measured the travel time, due to relativity of simultaneity.

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3
  5. Oct 12, 2013 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The reason that there is any confusion is that you didn't clearly specify the problem. To fully specify the problem you should have said "Suppose an object 'O' is travelling towards me at 90% speed of light which is placed at 1hr c away in my frame, then how much time in 'MY Clock' would it take to reach me?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook