Exploring Why Time Perception Changes: Is Relativity at Play?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of time perception changing continuously and whether relativity could play a role in this. The speaker believes that time perception is subjective and can be altered by chemicals, and that this has nothing to do with relativity. They also mention the possibility of different parts of the brain acting as observers and creating subjective experiences. However, the other person in the conversation states that this type of speculation is not allowed unless there are studies published in peer-reviewed journals to support it.
Sachin_Vaidya
Why time perception changes continuously...?
Could relativity be playing some role?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sachin_Vaidya said:
Why time perception changes continuously...?
Could relativity be playing some role?
I think you completely misunderstand what relativity means in physics. Time perception i subjective and can be altered with chemicals. This has nothing to do with relativity.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
I think you completely misunderstand what relativity means in physics. Time perception i subjective and can be altered with chemicals. This has nothing to do with relativity.
I know relativity...
But I think just like relativistic nature of time for different observers it may be true for parts of our brains that perceive time... I mean what if u consider each of these parts as observers...
After all subjective experiences also must emerge from fundamental laws...

Sachin_Vaidya said:
I know relativity...
But I think just like relativistic nature of time for different observers it may be true for parts of our brains that perceive time... I mean what if u consider each of these parts as observers...
After all subjective experiences also must emerge from fundamental laws...
We do not allow speculation of this nature. Unless you have studies published in acceptable peer reviewed journals on this subject, we cannot allow a discussion on it. You may send me the studies you have so I can review them. and decide if the thread can be re-opened.

1. What is time perception?

Time perception refers to the subjective experience of the passage of time. It is how we perceive and interpret the duration of events and how it affects our sense of time.

2. What causes time perception to change?

Time perception can be influenced by various factors such as age, emotion, attention, and memory. It can also be altered by external factors such as the speed of movement or the intensity of stimuli.

3. How does relativity play a role in time perception?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be experienced differently depending on the observer's relative speed and position. This means that time perception can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity.

4. What methods are used to study time perception?

There are various methods used to study time perception, including psychophysical experiments, brain imaging techniques, and computational models. These methods help us understand the underlying mechanisms and processes involved in time perception.

5. Why is it important to explore the changes in time perception?

Understanding how and why time perception changes can have implications in various fields such as psychology, neuroscience, and physics. It can also help us better understand our perception of the world and how we experience events and memories.