1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time period of a pendulum

1. May 29, 2016 #1
    Hi everybody! I have a quick question about a pendulum. The first question of a problem asked me to find an integral expression for the time period of a pendulum without the small angle approximation, which I did and I got that:

##T(\varphi) = 4\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \frac{d\xi}{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 (\varphi_0/2) \sin^2 \xi}}##

which seems correct. But then I am asked: "Calculate T for small angles ##\varphi_0 << 1## until the second order in ##\varphi_0##" (translated from german but quite accurate I believe).
    I am not sure how to interpret the question: do they want me to derive ##T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}## (but then I don't do anything in second order) or do they want me to expand the integral until second order, with the Legendre polynomial for example (but then I don't do any small angle approximation)?

For info, this problem takes place in the context of a course about advanced mechanics. We're between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian at the moment.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Julien.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They want you to do exactly what they say, find the second order contribution in ##\varphi_0##. In order to do this you will have to make a normal series expansion in ##\varphi_0## and keep terms up to order ##\varphi_0^2##.

4. May 29, 2016 #3
    @Orodruin Okay thanks that's what I thought. For info I get ##T(\varphi_0) = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} \big(1 + \frac{\varphi_0^2}{16}\big)##.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Julien.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted