1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time problem, I am having too much trouble trying to solve please help?

1. Mar 20, 2007 #1
    In 1977 Steve Weldon ate 91m of spaghetti in 29s. At the same speed how long would it take Mr. Weldon to eat 5m?

Okay, I believe they are asking for the time...so the formula would be

Time= d/V so what I did was divide the 5m by 29 and that does not make sense do I have to convert the 5m? :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why divide by 29? Is v=29?
  4. Mar 21, 2007 #3
    Okay after sleepinng on it I see what it is I did wrong. I was supposed to divide 91/29 to get 3.137...rounded gives me 3.14 so then I divide the 5/3.14=1.6 and thats my answer.

I solved it but I am still confused. I was assuming that 29s was my speed. It is actually my time? what is it that I am not understanding.

Please someone entertain my question. I know it may be right under my nose but I am really lost even though I solved it. I guess I just want to make sure I am reading the question correctly:frown:
  5. Mar 21, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, 29 seconds is time. It is time in which he eats 91 m of spaghetti. So 91m/29s is the rate at which he eats the spaghetti, expressed in the length of spaghetti. So once, you have that rate, you can find out how long it takes him to eat any amount of spaghetti. Does that make things clearer?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?