Time Propagation: Evaluating "exp(-i*H*t)

In summary, "exp(-i*H*t)" is a mathematical term used to represent the time evolution of a quantum system. It is derived from the Schrodinger equation and incorporates the Hamiltonian operator to calculate the state of the system at a specific time t. The "i" in this term represents the imaginary unit, which is necessary for accurately describing quantum systems. "exp(-i*H*t)" is used in the time evolution operator to track the changes in a quantum system over time and can be affected by factors such as the complexity of the Hamiltonian operator, the precision of the time step, and external disturbances.
Incognition
I'm running a simple limiting case of a simulation with the expression:

exp(-i*H*t), where H is the hamiltonian, in this case a 2x2 matrix of zeros. Should this evaluate to 0, or to [ 1 1 ; 1 1] ?

Right now my sim uses the latter, which I'm sure is wrong. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition
[tex]\exp(A) = 1 + A + \frac{1}{2} A^2 + \frac{1}{6} A^3 + \cdots[/tex]

So exp(0) = 1
with 1 the identity matrix [tex]\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Based on the information provided, it appears that the simulation is using a 2x2 matrix with all zeros as the Hamiltonian. In this case, the evaluation of exp(-i*H*t) should result in a 2x2 matrix of all ones, not [1 1; 1 1]. This is because the exponential of a zero matrix is the identity matrix, which in this case would be [1 0; 0 1]. Therefore, the correct evaluation should be [1 0; 0 1].

Additionally, it is important to note that the time propagation of a system is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. The expression exp(-i*H*t) represents the time evolution operator, which describes how a quantum state changes over time. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation and is a fundamental tool in simulating and understanding quantum systems.

In summary, the correct evaluation for exp(-i*H*t) in this case should be [1 0; 0 1], and it is important to use the correct expression in simulations to accurately model quantum systems. I would recommend double checking the implementation of the simulation and ensuring that the correct mathematical expressions are being used to accurately represent the system being studied.

1. What is "exp(-i*H*t)" in time propagation?

"exp(-i*H*t)" is a mathematical term that represents the time evolution of a quantum system. It is the solution to the Schrodinger equation, which describes how a quantum system changes over time. This term is used to calculate the state of a system at a specific time t, given its initial state and the Hamiltonian operator (H) that describes the system's energy.

2. How is "exp(-i*H*t)" related to time propagation?

"exp(-i*H*t)" is the key component in the time propagation process. It represents the time evolution of a quantum system and is used to calculate the state of the system at a specific time t. It is derived from the Schrodinger equation and incorporates the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the system's energy.

3. What does the "i" in "exp(-i*H*t)" represent?

The "i" in "exp(-i*H*t)" represents the imaginary unit, which is defined as the square root of -1. In quantum mechanics, the use of imaginary numbers is necessary to describe the behavior of physical systems and their time evolution. The "i" in this term allows for the inclusion of complex numbers in the calculation, which is crucial for accurately representing quantum systems.

4. How is "exp(-i*H*t)" used to calculate the state of a quantum system?

"exp(-i*H*t)" is used in a mathematical operation called the time evolution operator, which is applied to the initial state of a quantum system. This operator, when multiplied by the initial state, results in the state of the system at a specific time t. This allows scientists to track the evolution of a quantum system over time and make predictions about its behavior and properties.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of "exp(-i*H*t)" in time propagation?

The accuracy of "exp(-i*H*t)" in time propagation can be affected by factors such as the complexity of the Hamiltonian operator, the precision of the time step used in the calculation, and the size of the quantum system being analyzed. In addition, external factors such as environmental disturbances or interactions with other systems can also impact the accuracy of time propagation calculations.