Is Time Merely a Side Effect of Energy?

Therefore I cannot really participate in this part of the conversation.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between time and energy, with one person suggesting that time may be a side effect of energy. The other person mentions the uncertainty principle and the role of energy in equations related to time. They also mention the definition of energy as the capacity for doing work and the idea of energy being stored. The conversation ends with a discussion about the possibility of a pure form of energy and the rules against being overly speculative.
Pyon
Please realize I'm going to talk about random made up thoughts so don't take them too seriously, also I'm going to make a lot of wrong assumptions so be careful.

Just a question, wouldn't it be OK to say time is a side effect of energy? It kind of makes sense because we humans really can relatively keep track of time with our senses, and when we are not using them such as when we dream where the concept of time is kind of distorted. Also if there was no energy in the universe, absolutely nothing would change which would imply time would not exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pyon said:
Just a question, wouldn't it be OK to say time is a side effect of energy?

I don't know if "side-effect" is the right word, but there's definitely a relation between energy and time. You have Heisenberg's uncertainty principle ΔEΔt≥h/2, you have the angular velocity term in the exponential of the time derivative of Schrodinger equation, e^-iwt, and, most importantly, you have an energy term in the time slot of the 4-momentum, (E/c, Px, Py, Pz).

Energy is defined as "the capacity for doing work". As you mentioned, work is more related to work being done "through time." So to say they are related I think is fair, to say one is causal of another I think more suspicious.

I see, thanks for the reply. You say energy is defined as the capacity of doing work, but energy can also be stored right? Also is there a pure form of energy? where it's not being used or stored?

Pyon said:
I see, thanks for the reply. You say energy is defined as the capacity of doing work, but energy can also be stored right? Also is there a pure form of energy? where it's not being used or stored?

Well, this is more for the physics experts here at PF here to comment on, but in the meantime I'd say that from my understanding "rest mass" may be a form of consolidated energy, if that's what you are referring to. Or perhaps the energy stored in a capacitance-type situation, etc. "Where it's not being used or stored" is a mutually exclusive term, something is either being used or stored, wouldn't you agree? I don't think there's a third alternative.

DiracPool said:
Well, this is more for the physics experts here at PF here to comment on, but in the meantime I'd say that from my understanding "rest mass" may be a form of consolidated energy, if that's what you are referring to. Or perhaps the energy stored in a capacitance-type situation, etc. "Where it's not being used or stored" is a mutually exclusive term, something is either being used or stored, wouldn't you agree? I don't think there's a third alternative.

Yes I'd agree there is not third alternative, but I was thinking something like light maybe?

Sorry, but this gets into our rule of becoming "overly speculative".

• Love
Likes dlgoff

1. What is the concept of time?

The concept of time is a fundamental component of our understanding of the universe. It is the measurement of the duration of events and the sequence in which they occur. Time is often described as the fourth dimension, along with the three dimensions of space.

2. How does energy relate to time?

According to the theory of relativity, time and energy are closely intertwined. Energy is required to cause changes in the fabric of spacetime, which in turn affects the flow of time. The more energy that is present, the more spacetime is bent and the slower time moves.

3. Is time an illusion created by our perception of energy?

Some scientists and philosophers have proposed the idea that time is not a fundamental aspect of the universe, but rather an illusion created by our perception of energy. This theory suggests that time is merely a byproduct of how our brains interpret change and motion.

4. Can time be manipulated with energy?

While energy can affect the flow of time, it is not possible to manipulate time in the sense of going back or forward in time. The concept of time travel is purely theoretical and requires energy levels that are currently beyond our capabilities.

5. Is there a connection between time, energy, and entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. Time and energy are closely related to entropy, as energy is required to change the state of a system, which in turn affects the passage of time. The concept of entropy helps explain why time only moves in one direction, from past to future.