Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time real or not

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    There appears to be an ongoing bias towards the existence of time as a dimension. Yet clearly there is an ongoing argument within the scientific community about it's existence. What are the arguments for and against times existence, As even after extensive reading including
    Einstein-Minkowski Spacetime. and other related theories over the last 4 years most of the theoretical constructs appear to point clearly towards it's non existence.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!
    I'm not sure "bias" is the right word, but yes, the mainstream science position is that time is a dimension.
    I don't think that's true. Could you provide examples of such discussion?

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Time is a dimension in some geometrical interpretations of physical theories. Whether that constitutes "existence" is a purely semantical question, not a physical one.

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Smolin vs. Susskind. Smolin's advocacy of a background-independent physics. Smolin's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Reborn
    • All that is real is real in a moment, which is a succession of moments. Anything that is true is true of the present moment.
    • Everything that is real in a moment is a process of change leading to the next or future moments. Anything that is true is then a feature of a process in this process causing or implying future moments.
    Smolin asks that time as essential and space as emergent be considered.

6. Nov 19, 2014 #5

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physics is a mathematical model. Time is naturally modelled as a parameter in our equations - I wouldn't call such a bias.

And of course it exists - clocks exist, and time, in physics, is what clocks measure.

Does it emerge from something deeper - quite likely IMHO - but I don't think there is any kind of consensus right now on exactly what that is.

Thanks
    Bill

7. Nov 19, 2014 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think such metaphysical gobblely gook illuminates nothing.

Time is simply what a clock measures - nothing hard about it.

Thanks
    Bill

8. Nov 19, 2014 #7

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Bhobba is right. As far as science (which is what we talk about here) is concerned, it really is that simple.

Time to close this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook