Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time required to build ITER.

1. May 2, 2005 #1
    Japan to have talks on ITER site.

According to the above link, ITER "is not expected to be operational before 2050". Is this true? I had thought the time that would be required to build it would be less than twenty years even from a pessmistic viewpoint. If it takes this long, should the scientific community hold off on this project before actually building something concrete on account it may be half built before making a huge new discovery that could change everything and perhaps wait until it would require less time to build?

On the article as a whole, I am glad things look like they will finally be resolved and the project can continue. I am not bothered by the location that is finally decided on, but where do most of you think it should be built?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

My solution: build An ITER in both France and Japan. The other nations will put up the funds they have agreed to for a single ITER, and France and Japan must bear the cost of duplication between them. If their pride requires their intransigance then let them put their money where there mouths are.

4. May 14, 2005 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

Both the Department of Energy and the Princeton plasma physics lab seem to think that first plasma will be achieved by the end of 2015. Perhaps 2050 as a reference to the prediction of when the prototype might be available to actually produce fusion power commercially.

5. Jun 5, 2005 #4
    Why not just build the reactor in a neutral country? Australia sounds like a good bet :p

6. Jun 5, 2005 #5
    I believe it was just stated in another thread that Austrulia has no nuclear reactors and if this is to be built for research, it should probably be built somewhere where research is prevelant. Although I am sure many researchers would not mind going to Austrulia for vacation and work.

7. Jun 28, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

France to host multi-billion-dollar ITER nuclear energy reactor

It's a matter of time now.

8. Jun 28, 2005 #7
    It might also be a transportation issue.

"European Union,the United States, Russia, Japan, South Korea and China"

It is easier for those in the European Union, Russia, and the United States (somewhat if they are on the east coast) to go to France while South Korea, Japan, and China would rather have it in Japan. If ITER is going to be transporting a bunch of researchers, it would be best to keep them from getting too much jet lag, especially after 15+ hours of flight.

I guess in this situation it seemed to be deadlocked until they chose France. Hmm... good thing they chose the site. I remember last year they were still squabbling over where to place ITER.

9. Jun 28, 2005 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Japan caved, with some sops to keep them from being too bitter. They'll pick up a lot of the technological development contracts.

10. Jun 28, 2005 #9
    I am glad it has finally been decided. I am also suprised I have not read this before I saw it here.

11. Jun 29, 2005 #10
    Reference:
    http://www.harktheherald.com/module...article&sid=58453&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

12. Jun 29, 2005 #11
    Japan didn't cave in they got a great deal, of all the money raised for ITER - 50% must be raised by Europe - Japan will recieve 15% of whatever is raised. 20% of all jobs from IER will go to Japanese nationals!! And what for? For having the research centre and a very high proability that the next plant will be built in Japan - around 2050 - the one that is going to work!!

13. Sep 9, 2005 #12
    I was talking to a couple of guys from EURATOM last week and they felt that the first ITER plasma should be around 2016. France was a good choice given the number of other large machines in Europe and given that ITER will be next door to Tore Supra.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  14. Sep 9, 2005 #13

Morbius

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?