1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time space diagram

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    i attached the diagram.

a) the object whose world line is labeled B is moving along the x-axis T or F?

I said false because yes while it is moving along the x axis it's also moving along the y-axis. So it's moving in two dimensions not just one. is my answer and reasoning correct?

The world line for object E (a completely horizontal world line) cannot possibly be correct right? The reason behind this is because it has a slope of zero and it must have a slope of one or greater. Having a slope of 1 or less than one means that the object is traveling at the speed of light or faster than the speed of light which is not possible.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No, your answer is incorrect. For one thing, the "y-axis" represents time. The spacetime diagram is just a picture representing where the object is as a function of time. World line B shows an object moving left and then right along the x-axis.
    Right! (Assuming you are measuring both axes with comparable units--ct instead of just time.)

4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    for the first portion.

if the object is moving left then right along the right-axis then what is the difference of an object that is moving in a curved manner like B and an object that would move in a staright manner like A

Attached Files:

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

While the worldline of B might be curved, both A and B are moving in a straight line. They both only move back and forth along the x-axis. The difference is that A moves with constant speed to the left then instantly reverses direction and moves with constant speed to the right while B slows down and reverses direction more gently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?