Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-space in a photon?

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    Hi everybody]Since we see light, from the equation Δt=γ Δt' , Δt' (the Δtime in a photon) should be zero, cause γ→+∞ for v→c and Δt is a descrete number (if we actually see photons). So, I thought the time in a photon doesn't flow, but my Physic friend said it's wrong..? In the frequently asked question, it's written that the time "shrinks to zero", isn't that the same to say it doesn't flow in a photon?
    Also, there's written that the distance shrinks to zero, but isn't suppose Δs'→+∞ ? Otherwise, for Δs=Δs' / γ , wouldn't we see the photons like "freeze", like not moving??
    * γ = 1/ √(1-v^2 /c^2)
    thanks for the answers...and sorry if I'm not approaching this in a very "elegant" way (i'm doing engineering XD

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're only quoting a very small portion of the FAQ and thus taking it out of context. Do you understand that when mathematicians speak of a limit, they mean something that you can approach to as closely as you want, but you're not allowed to actually get to? So the FAQ is saying that it's meaningless to talk about what happens when you get to the limit because you can't get there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook