Why is the distance traveled by the bird towards the wall incorrect?

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary: But from where the bird fly to wall?I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. The bird flies from the starting position towards the train, then turns around and flies towards the wall (starting position). The question is asking how much distance the bird will have covered towards the wall before the train reaches it.
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

A bird, 720 km away from a train flies towards it at a speed of 120km/h. As soon as it reaches the train, it turns back towards the wall (starting position). The train travels at a speed of 15m/s towards the starting position of the bird. How much distance towards the wall will the bird cover before the train reaches it.

The Attempt at a Solution

15m/s= 54km/h

Thus the train takes 720/54=13.33 hours to reach the wall.

The relative velocity of the bird wrt train when traveling towards it is 54+120=174km/h

The relative velocity when traveling away from the train is 120-54=66km/h

Ratios of velocities (towards:away)=29:11

Thus the ratio of time taken in traveling towards the train to away from the train =11:29

Thus, the bird spent a total of [tex]\frac{29}{29+11}\times 13.33[/tex] hours traveling away from the train.

The velocity of the bird traveling away from the train is 120km/h

Thus, the distance traveled by the bird away from the train is [tex]13.33\times \frac{29}{40} \times 120=1160 km[/tex]

Which is the wrong answer. The solution is 800 km. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
chaoseverlasting said:

Homework Statement

A bird, 720 km away from a train flies towards it at a speed of 120km/h. As soon as it reaches the train, it turns back towards the wall (starting position). The train travels at a speed of 15m/s towards the starting position of the bird. How much distance towards the wall will the bird cover before the train reaches it.

I don't see where you computed at what point the (extremely fast) bird and the train meet. Relative velocities are unimportant. The 800 km seems to be how far beyond the wall the bird will get, since it's faster than the train.

The bird flies towards the train and as soon as it meets the train, it turns back and flies at the wall. 800 km is the total distance covered by the bird while its flying away from the train. For example, the distance covered in the first run is [tex]\frac{720}{120+54}\times 120[/tex] km (towards the train).

chaoseverlasting said:
Thus the ratio of time taken in traveling towards the train to away from the train =11:29

Thus, the bird spent a total of [tex]\frac{29}{29+11}\times 13.33[/tex] hours traveling away from the train.

It is bad reasoning. Imagine that a bird has the same velocity as the train. Relative velocity toward the train is 240km/h, toward away - 0km/h! But in this case time to fly toward away has to be infinity. It is clear that it is not true - bird back starting point together with the train!

Now imagine that bird fly ONLY ONCE toward the train and back. What is the ratio of time to fly toward train to toward back? Remember that there is no matter where bird meet the train.

regards

Last edited:
Isn't the correct answer 607 km past the wall, and not 800?

Niles said:
Isn't the correct answer 607 km past the wall, and not 800?

No, 800 is right.

regards

Ok. I see where I've made the mistake. The velocity towards the wall is 120 km/h and towards the train is 174km/h.

Ratio of time taken flying towards the train to away from the train is 120:174 (=20:29)

Total time spent flying away is [tex]\frac{13.33\times 29}{49}[/tex]

Speed of the bird is 120km/h

This gives a distance of 946.77 ...

chaoseverlasting said:
The velocity towards the wall is 120 km/h and towards the train is 174km/h.

Ratio of time taken flying towards the train to away from the train is 120:174 (=20:29)
Forget about the train! :smile:. There is no train - train sets only the rendezvous points.

Your problem looks like: "There is a bird flying from A to B and then backward. How many time it is flying back?".

Answer is simply: half of the time, isn't it?

Then the bird flying again from A to C and backward... the same. A -> D -> A? The same. In all cases half of the time it is going toward point of meeting and half of the time backward. No matter where that points are.

So, no matter train speed and relative speed. Train sets only B, C, D... turning points.

Train is nessecary only to calculate total time of flying. Half of that time bird is going toward "away from train". And you know velocity :smile:.

regards
Bartek
of course, the speed of the bird must be greater than the speed of the train. In order to fly earlier than the train to the starting point.

BTW... bird flying for over 13 hours with speed 120 km/h. wow!

Last edited:
Is your question is well written? i suspect it is not. (Please check your question again)
What i understand is:
Train and bird going towards each other. After 4.138 h (=720/(120+54)) train and bird will meet. So bird will cross 496.552 km (=120 km/h X 4.138 h). So for the bird to go back to starting position it will have to travel another 496.552 km.
That means the total distance traveled by bird will be 2 X 496.552 = 993.103 km.

Rajini said:
So for the bird to go back to starting position it will have to travel another 496.552 km.
That means the total distance traveled by bird will be 2 X 496.552 = 993.103 km.
I understand that bird flying toward the train, then back to "wall" then again fly to train and back to the train and back and again and again until the train reaches "the wall".

If I'm right - total distance is 1600km and distance toward starting point is 800km.

Last edited:
Bartek said:
I understand that bird flying toward the train, then back to "wall" then again fly to train and back to the train and back and again and again until the train reaches "the wall".

If I'm right total distance is 1600km and distance toward starting point is 800km.

I don't know! In his question he did not tell anything about going back again and again..From his question i understand that the bird travel from starting position to train and then back to starting position. I gues we have to wait for his reply.

Rajini said:
In his question he did not tell anything about going back again and again..
You are right. So I understand sentence "distance towards the wall will the bird cover before the train reaches it". It make no sense (for me) if the bird flying only once. There is no matter how much time spent the bird on ending point before train reaches it.

If you are right, chaoseverlasting just have two homework in one :smile:

regards
Bartek

Hello Bartek,
you notice the original question carefully. Moreover, in return journey for the bird, no need to consider the train's velocity. That why i asked him to write the question properly (scroll above). So I believe your solutions should be correct. I think he may have even more than two homework in one.

Rajini said:
That why i asked him to write the question properly (scroll above).
Lets wait what chaoseverlasting say :smile:. He wrote right answer:
Which is the wrong answer. The solution is 800 km. Why?
I think it is from book.

regards
Bartek

Rajini said:
I don't know! In his question he did not tell anything about going back again and again..From his question i understand that the bird travel from starting position to train and then back to starting position. I gues we have to wait for his reply.

I agree with you. I thought the bird started from the wall, flew to the train, and then towards the wall and beyond it. The task is to find the distance passed from the wall and beyond (I got 607 km). But I think Bartek has understood the question correctly (his solution is also 800 km, just as in the book).

But I think all of us agree that it is a very impressive bird flying 120 km! :smile:

Is this speed is really high for a bird ?..Anyway this bird is amazing.

Thank you bartek! It is from a book. I've been solving similar questions, and missed the point. A result of less thinking and blind application. :) Kudos!

1. What is the relationship between time, speed, and distance?

The relationship between time, speed, and distance is known as the basic formula of physics, which is: distance = speed x time. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the speed at which an object is moving multiplied by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.

3. How does acceleration affect time, speed, and distance?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can affect time, speed, and distance in different ways. When an object is accelerating, the time it takes to travel a given distance will decrease, the speed will increase, and the distance traveled will be greater for a given amount of time.

4. How does time dilation relate to time, speed, and distance?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer who is moving at a high velocity relative to another observer. This means that as an object's speed increases, time will appear to slow down for that object. As a result, the distance traveled will also appear longer for the moving object.

5. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This means that it is not possible for an object to exceed the speed of light, as it would require an infinite amount of energy. However, some theories suggest that the speed of light may have been exceeded in certain situations, such as during the Big Bang.