Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time symmetry

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    I recently posted a question on energy and matter and I got a very good answer to that one so I thought another one wouldn't hurt. I understand that time symmetry is what makes all conservation laws possible as is stated in Noether's theorem. Time symmetry is what explains the conservation of matter and energy and in part also unifies the two. Because time symmetry doesn't change the way it works, and energy and matter do, would the symmetry of space not change as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. correction. The time symmetry is relevant to NOT ALL conservation laws, only the conservation of energy+mass!

The spatial symmetry is responsible for the conservation laws we see for momentum (and angular momentum if you include space anisotropy).

Noether theorem applies to not just energy conservation. It simply states that in the most general form, every conservation laws implies an underlying symmetry. So each conservation law has its own symmetry principle. You should not use one symmetry principle for all conservation laws that might not be appropriate.

Zz.

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
  5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, considering my dislike for wikipedia (can you guarantee that would be the same information next month?), here's a more established reference:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/physics/9807044

Zz.

6. Jan 31, 2007 #5
    oh no my mistake, I said "time" symmetry and when I really ment "underlying" symmetry, exactly in the sense in which you have stated Zapper (the underlying symmetry of every conservation law). Sorry for the confusion, so there is "spacial symmetry" as you have stated, is it distinct from time symmetry? (Thank you for the sources) :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?