Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time synchronization in arbitrary reference frames.

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    I'm having a bit of trouble with digesting an argument for which the conclusion is that it's not possible, in general, to Einstein synchronize clocks around closed curves. The argument goes as follows;

(Beginning)
    Consider a four-velocity field ##e_{\hat{0}}## of the reference particles in a reference frame R.
    In an arbitrary basis ##\{e_\mu\}## where we choose ##e_0## parallel to ##e_{\hat{0}}## the vectors ##e_i## need not be parallel to ##e_0##. We thus introduce

$$ e_{\perp i} = e_i - \frac{e_i \cdot e_0}{e_0 \cdot e_0} e_0 $$

and define

$$ \gamma_{ij} = e_{\perp i}\cdot e_{\perp j} = g_{ij} - \frac{g_{i0}g_{j0}}{g_00}$$

where ##g_{\mu \nu}## is the components of the metric tensor corresponding to the original general basis. Written in terms of the time orthogonal basis ##\{e_{\hat 0}, e_{\perp,i}\}## then we get

$$ds^2 = - d\hat t^2 + \gamma_{ij}dx^i dx^j.$$

We can thus write

$$ d\hat t^2 = \gamma_{ij}dx^i dx^j - ds^2 = \gamma_{ij}dx^i dx^j - g_{\mu \nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu = [(-g_{00})^{1/2}(dx^0 + \frac{g_{i0}}{g_{00}} dx^i)]^2.$$

Therefore ##d\hat t=0## corresponds to

$$ dx^0 = - \frac{g_{i0}}{g_{00}} dx^i$$

which is not a perfect differential. Thus the line integral of the coordinate time around a closed curve is in general not zero. The author then concludes that since ##d\hat t = 0## corresponds to simultaneity on Einstein synchronized clocks it is not in general (##g_{i0} \neq 0##) possible to Einstein synchronize clocks around closed curves.
    (End)

Questions:
    (1) Why does ##d\hat t = 0## correspond to Einstein synchronization of clocks?
    (2) Is so bad that the line integral of the coordinate time is different from zero? Does this generally implies something other than a bad choice of time coordinate?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted