1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time to decelerate over a given distance

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1
    Alright, so the problem I'm working on is basically as such:

An object with an initial Velocity of 95m/s slides horizontally, constantly losing velocity. After traveling 8 km it comes to a stop.

How long did the object take to travel 8 km.

So here's how I went at it:

δx = v0 + .5at^2

δx+v0 = .5(δv/t)t^2

2(δx+v0) = v(t^2)/t

2(δx+v0)/δv = (t^2)/t

2(δx+v0)/δv = t

Then I plugged in:
    δx = 8000m
    v0 = 95m/s
    δv = -95m/s

Which returned t = -170.421s (Which I thought was odd to begin with, as how can one have a negative value for time.)

But I tried plugging that into my initial equation to see that it all worked out but instead of getting δx = 8000m I got δx = 8190m

So obviously there is a flaw in my logic SOMEWHERE. I just don't know where.

Help please!?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You appear to be using a 'special character' that shows up on my reader as ? .
    Was it δ ?

Your first error is not "logic" but the wrong formula: δ x= v0t+ (1/2)at2. You forgot the "t" multiplying v0.
    Making that change, assuming that "constantly losing velocity" mean that the decelleration is constant, δx= v0t+ (1/2)at2. You are given that x= 8000 m and that v0= 95 m/s. That leaves a and t as unknowns. Since there are two unknowns, you need a second equation: in that same time, t, the velocity reduces from 95 to 0 so -95= at is the second equation.

You need to solve 8000= 95t+ (1/2)at2 and -95= at.

Substitute t= -95/a as you did and solve the quadratic equation.

4. Jan 7, 2005 #3
    Ahh, so I did. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  5. Jan 7, 2005 #4
    I used the formula

Vf^2 = Vo^2 +2ad
    I found a from this. which was -0.564m/s^2

From there I went to the formula d= Vo+1/2at^2 and solved for time.
    In which I got about 167 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?