Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time to equilibrium

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    Is the time taken to reach equilibrium the same whether starting from reactants or products, under the same conditions? I think intuitively it is but cannot find a reference or proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What happens if you switch the roles of the reactants and the products?

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    How do you mean?

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I understood you to be talking about an equilibrium reaction ... when the products of a reaction themselves can react ... and, in turn, produce the initial reactants. You can start by mixing the products instead .. in which case they are the initial reactants and the roles have changed.

You should have some model for handling these sorts of reactions ... so have you tried applying the model both ways?
    Put another way: I am trying to encourage you to investigate your question yourself instead of looking for some results obtained by someone else.

(But you could be thinking of something else.)

6. Nov 15, 2012 #5
    Thankyou for the clarification - I see what you meant.

I have thought at quite some length and a colleague of mine is equally at a loss. I am familiar withj the basics of integrated rate laws and the equilibrium law, but just cannot see how to apply this. I have found no reference to this question iun several standard texts, so, short of doing an experiment in the lab (which would only prove it for one case), I am lost! If you have an idea how to prove this, then by all means just give me some clues ... I am happy to wrestle with it once I have a direction to go in!

Many thanks

7. Nov 15, 2012 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Technically time required to reach equilibrium is infinite.

8. Nov 15, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@Borek: Depends on your model :)

@Miffymycat: how would you normally go about figuring the time to equilibrium?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook