• Other
  • Thread starter Logical Dog
  • Start date
Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
@Bipolar Demon

It is possible that university is not the right place for you right now.

Your first priority needs to be dealing with your depression. You need to be as healthy as you can be while pursuing an education. That doesn't mean that you need to be "cured" but as much as possible, you need to be in a place where it's not affecting your performance. That's something you need professional advice and guidance on.

The next thing to consider is as the title of the thread implies, whether this is the right time for you to be pursuing a university education. I understand the family and social pressure to complete a university education. But if you're (a) not enjoying the process and (b) have a serious risk of failing out, then exploring alternatives should definitely be on the table.

Have you thought about community college programs? Trades? You could look into some technical training that you could complete in a couple of years and then get into a job that pays a lot better than minimum wage. Once you have yourself financially stable, there's no reason you couldn't go back to university and do what you really love.

Likes Logical Dog
But you were good enough to get a freelance gig. It's a good sign. Tbh I think that in your case college degree is pretty useless. You struggle and you do it only to satisfy your family. You won't get any marketable skills by getting a random degree and since it's US - higher education costs a lot. So it's worth only if you can get solid professional degree like engineering or medicine or if you are very passionate about certain subject but I understand that you are not.

On the other hand in CG degree, grades, age and all that stuff doesn't matter. Portfolio is the only thing that matters. In US possibilities in CG education are so good that I'm almost envious. You can get best education online at CGMA or Digitaltutors. You can even complete 1 or 3-year professional program at Gnomon or other non-degree schools and for you it's much more cheaper than let's say history degree at regular college xD So why even bother? If you aren't sure what to study at college but you like 3d art then focus on making solid portfolio and getting a job.

Once you have yourself financially stable, there's no reason you couldn't go back to university and do what you really love.
So why even bother? If you aren't sure what to study at college but you like 3d art then focus on making solid portfolio and getting a job.
good advise...I will consider and discuss these with family. :-) I didnt tel them my condition and a few other details out of shame. but that isn't helping.

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
good advise...I will consider and discuss these with family. :-) I didnt tel them my condition and a few other details out of shame. but that isn't helping.
Unfortunately there is a stigma that comes with these kinds of conditions - as if the condition is somehow your own fault. You have a right to decide on what you tell them and what you don't, but sometimes if you really want their advice and help, it's best to put all your cards on the table. Often the trouble lies in just initiating the discussion. It's hard sit down over dinner and say "oh by the way, mom, I'm suffering from depression and it's affecting my schoolwork." It can help to set up a specific time where you can chat and focus on the issue and start with "I want to get your advice on something."

In most cases, people are more understanding than one might expect at first.

Likes Logical Dog