Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time to graduate

1. Jun 4, 2005 #1
    Below is the statement from my school regarding time of degree completion. If I started in the Fall of 2003, when must I finish? Do the last few months of 2003 (which was my first semester) actually count as a full calendar year against me?

"The approved program of study must be completed within a period of not more than six consecutive calendar years."

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2005 #2
    fall 2003 + 6 years = fall 2009

Meaning you must finish by fall 2009, i figure. The last few months of 2003 are considered as part of full calendar year which is included in the 6 year total. IMHO

4. Jun 4, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this question can best be answered by your university graduation office or registrars office.
    i.e. first answer: whatwever they say.

second answer: whatever you can pluasibly argue in a court of law based on what they wrote.

5. Jun 4, 2005 #4

I tihnk its more likley that when they say 6 calendar years they mean 12 semesters. So you'd have to graduate by the end of the spring semester of 2009. That way, 6 calendar years after first enrollment, you'd be graduated.

6. Jun 4, 2005 #5
    Per Merriam Webster

Calendar Year:
    1 : a period of a year beginning and ending with the dates that are conventionally accepted as marking the beginning and end of a numbered year
    2 : a period of time equal in length to that of the year in the calendar conventionally in use

I would think that by #2, I should have 72 months to complete the degree.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook