Calculating Time to Heat 52 Gallons of Water

In summary, the problem is asking to find the time it would take to heat 52 gallons of water in a hot water heater if 4800 watts is being used, with a starting temperature of 60 F and an ending temperature of 120 F. The conversation discusses converting between different units and confirming the accuracy of the calculations.
Jason03
the problem I am working on asks to find how long it would take to heat 52 gallons of water in a hot water heater if 4800 watts is being used and the temperature needs to be raised from 60 F to 120 F...

My work is below...

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/hw1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jason03 said:
the problem I am working on asks to find how long it would take to heat 52 pounds of water in a hot water heater if 4800 watts is being used and the temperature needs to be raised from 60 F to 120 F...

My work is below...

I'm not used to working in those units, but your approach looks sound. Did you get the correct answer? If not, try converting into mks units, and re-calculating to see what answer you get.

Yea I am used to SI units as well...I just worked with the units given since the conversions were given...I guess I could try it the other way to if I did it correctly

Jason03 said:
the problem I am working on asks to find how long it would take to heat 52 pounds of water in a hot water heater if 4800 watts is being used and the temperature needs to be raised from 60 F to 120 F...

My work is below...

Is the water 52 pounds or 52 gallons?

good call...its 52 gallons.. but I did the correct conversion in my calculations...

Thanks!...Just checking to see if it was right...

What is the formula for calculating time to heat 52 gallons of water?

The formula for calculating time to heat 52 gallons of water is:
Time = (52 gallons * Specific Heat Capacity * Temperature Difference) / Heat Input

What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

What is the temperature difference for calculating time to heat 52 gallons of water?

The temperature difference for calculating time to heat 52 gallons of water is the difference between the starting temperature of the water and the desired ending temperature. For example, if the starting temperature is 20°C and the desired ending temperature is 60°C, the temperature difference would be 40°C.

What is the heat input needed to heat 52 gallons of water?

The heat input needed to heat 52 gallons of water depends on the heat source being used. Different heat sources have different heat outputs, so the amount of heat input needed will vary. It is important to know the heat input of the specific heat source being used in order to accurately calculate the time to heat 52 gallons of water.

Can I use this formula to calculate time to heat any amount of water?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the time to heat any amount of water as long as the specific heat capacity and heat input are known. Just substitute the desired amount of water in gallons for the 52 gallons in the formula and the result will be the approximate time it will take to heat that amount of water.