Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time to start a new movie collection, here comes blu-ray

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    So does anyone know around when blu-ray will become the new standard for media? Also how much of a difference will the quality be?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2
    http://www.blu-ray.com/

I've heard of it's competitor HD-dvd coming out next year. With the HD-dvd player selling for about $1,000. I can only speculate that it will be at the same time.

Quality wise, from the articles I've read the picture quality will be better but you'll have to get an HD tv to fully take advantage of the high def capabilities.

This is also unfortunate for moviephiles such as me, I've accumulated an estimated 100+ dvd's so far which means that I may have to buy the same 100 movies in HD-dvd or Blu- ray format which I won't be doing :grumpy:

4. Oct 31, 2004 #3
    I dont think blu-ray will have any trouble with competition, it has like 11 big name companies backing it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?