Stopping a Train: Calculating Time from Velocity

In summary, the problem is to determine the time it takes for a train to stop given its initial velocity and a graph showing distance versus velocity. The graph equation is s=2.9u^2 + 29u, and data points for different initial velocities are given. To solve the problem, the graph is inverted to make velocity the vertical axis and distance the horizontal axis. Using Newton's second law, v^2 = u^2 + 2ad, and the fact that v=0 when the train stops, the equation -at=-u is used to find the acceleration. However, the value for acceleration is still unknown.
rogetz

Homework Statement

I have a distance versus velocity graph that gives me the braking distance for a train (for known gradients of track - but gradient is irrevelant for my problem). the graph has distance on the vertical axis and velocity on the horizontal axis. What i want to know is that for a given initial velocity, how long - in time - does it take the train to stop?

Homework Equations

the graph equation i have worked out to be s=2.9u^2 + 29u (where s=distance, u=initial velocity)
(i was given several data points i.e. a train with an intial velocity of x km/h would take y m to stop)

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought i would invert the graph so to make velocity on the vertical and distance on the horizontal. doing this u=-2x10^-5s^2 + 0.09s

using Newtons 2nd (?) law, v=u+at but since v=0 (i.e stopped), then u=-at. what i don't know is a (accelaration - in my case decelleration). but if change in velocity divided by change in time (dv/dt) is accleration and velocity is change in distance divided by change in time (ds/dt) then...

this is where i get lost

please help - it should be easy (i think but i hope not)

Physics news on Phys.org
There's another kinematic equation that might help you:
[tex]v^2 = u^2 + 2ad[/tex]

P.S. [tex]v = u + at[/tex] isn't one of Newton's laws, it's really just math.

I would first commend you on your efforts to use the given data and equations to solve the problem. Your approach is a good start, but I would caution you to be careful with your units and equations. In this case, you are dealing with a deceleration, so the equation v=u+at should be v=u-at, where a is the deceleration.

To calculate the time it takes for the train to stop, you can use the equation v=u-at and solve for t. This will give you the time it takes for the train to decelerate from an initial velocity (u) to a final velocity of 0.

Another approach you could take is to use the equation s=ut+1/2at^2, where s is the distance, u is the initial velocity, a is the deceleration, and t is the time. By substituting the known values for s and u, you can solve for t and get the time it takes for the train to stop.

It's also important to note that the equation s=2.9u^2+29u is not a general equation for all trains, but rather specific to the data points given to you. In real-world scenarios, the deceleration of a train can vary depending on factors such as the weight of the train, the condition of the tracks, and the braking system of the train. So while your approach may work for the given data, it may not be accurate for all trains.

In summary, to calculate the time it takes for a train to stop, you can use the equations v=u-at or s=ut+1/2at^2, where u is the initial velocity and a is the deceleration. However, it's important to consider that these equations may not accurately represent the deceleration of all trains in real-world scenarios.

1. How is time calculated when stopping a train?

Time is calculated using the formula t = v/a, where t is the time in seconds, v is the initial velocity in meters per second, and a is the deceleration in meters per second squared.

2. What factors affect the time it takes to stop a train?

The main factors that affect the time it takes to stop a train are the initial velocity, the mass and weight of the train, and the braking force applied.

3. How does the length of the train impact the time it takes to stop?

The length of the train does not have a direct impact on the time it takes to stop. However, a longer train may require a longer distance to come to a complete stop, depending on the initial velocity and braking force.

4. Why is it important to calculate the time it takes to stop a train?

Calculating the time it takes to stop a train is important for safety reasons. It allows train operators to determine the appropriate speed and braking distance needed to safely stop the train.

5. Can the time to stop a train be affected by external factors?

Yes, the time it takes to stop a train can be affected by external factors such as weather conditions, track conditions, and the weight and distribution of cargo on the train. These factors can impact the train's deceleration and therefore affect the time it takes to stop.