1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time to stop a train

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a distance versus velocity graph that gives me the braking distance for a train (for known gradients of track - but gradient is irrevelant for my problem). the graph has distance on the vertical axis and velocity on the horizontal axis. What i want to know is that for a given initial velocity, how long - in time - does it take the train to stop?

2. Relevant equations
    the graph equation i have worked out to be s=2.9u^2 + 29u (where s=distance, u=initial velocity)
    (i was given several data points i.e. a train with an intial velocity of x km/h would take y m to stop)

3. The attempt at a solution
    i thought i would invert the graph so to make velocity on the vertical and distance on the horizontal. doing this u=-2x10^-5s^2 + 0.09s

using newtons 2nd (?) law, v=u+at but since v=0 (i.e stopped), then u=-at. what i dont know is a (accelaration - in my case decelleration). but if change in velocity divided by change in time (dv/dt) is accleration and velocity is change in distance divided by change in time (ds/dt) then........

this is where i get lost

please help - it should be easy (i think but i hope not)

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

There's another kinematic equation that might help you:
    [tex]v^2 = u^2 + 2ad[/tex]

P.S. [tex]v = u + at[/tex] isn't one of Newton's laws, it's really just math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook