Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time travel into future possible

1. Jun 2, 2004 #1
    If I say die at 45 have have myself frozen and in 500 years time they unthaw me medicine is advanced they can bring me back to life with my memory just as how I knew it before I passed away than from my point of view id have trvelled in time to 500 years into future right ? no diff from a time machine as all I know is being in 21st century then 26th century with no conception of time passing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2004 #2
    I suppose the same could be argued everytime you go to sleep.

4. Jun 3, 2004 #3
    Why sleep, just go about your normal day. But if you really want to travel into the future, just get on a plane and fly coast to coast, you'll pick up a few seconds if you do it every day for a few years.

5. Jun 3, 2004 #4
    When I was "put under" for surgery that lasted a couple hours and then woke, the last thoughts I remember were the last thoughts I had before the anesthesia took full effect.

6. Jun 5, 2004 #5
    the only problem with above is you may have percieved a jump in time but your body has still aged with cryogenics it doesnt

7. Jun 5, 2004 #6

isn't that whats happened with walt disney? or is that an urban myth?

surely if the freezing process is done well, you don't have to be dead when they freeze you and therefore they can unfreeze you in 500 years and they won't need advances in medicine to help you.

8. Jun 5, 2004 #7
    true you do not have to be dead but id rarther have it done when i passed away

9. Jun 5, 2004 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is way different form my concept of a "time machine" in a "real" time machine I would be able to travel BACK to where I started. We are all riding the roller coaster we call time into the future, that is not time travel, it is inevitable.

10. Jun 6, 2004 #9
    Let me try to say what Integral said (no offense Int.) in my own words:

That is not time travel at all. The same time passes - it is simply preservation.

11. Jun 6, 2004 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If only the bag of peas in my freezer could talk, or negotiate a book deal with a publisher...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?