Time travel is impossable

• Thread starter shadowman
  • Start date
time travel is possible. if time travel were not possible, then time itself would not exist. someone had to create time to begin with, therefore i would kind of just maybe guess that that person locked himself/herself from being able to use time to their own will. it is only a logical conclusion that time travel is actually very possible. for thousands of years, wether they knew it or not, most theories, like quantum mechanics and relativity, have predicted that time travel is possible, but only under certain conditions. from what i can see, only EVERYTHING is possible under certain conditions. you brush your hair, only when it is needed, wether ofter or hardly at all. atoms have ionic compounds, only when necisary conditions apply. and as we have seen, most people don't belive it, the mind is an extremely powerful tool for doing all things, under certain conditions, usually the same condition though. i have studied things like what everyone would say "x-files" is about. no aliens or things like that, but very odd phenomenas, and the only solution is someone being able to usse their minds to do certain things under certain conditions. move things across the room, control electricity, read minds, control other people, teleport, many many more things as well. most all of your phenomenas are one of two things: a joke and not real, or something to do with the power of the mind and very real indeed. never underestiamte the power within the mind.

It is not clear if time travel is indeed possible.
The most plausible idea for a time machine
was proposed by Frank Tipler. A simple explanation
of it is http://yolanda3.dynalias.org/wbpage/wpage.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Time Travel

the best way to supprot the Idea is like this:
If time traveling was possible than we should have seen a person from the future by now!

: Well, that is of course UNLESS we just haven't invented the technology that allows for the reception of a time traveler. What if they can only travel back to the point in which time travel was invented?

3)You cannot exceed the speed of light (and anybody that says you can do that is not living in todays world and should really be in a star trek physics forum).

Actually... The theory of relativity says you cannot go from being slower than the speed of light to faster.. but it DEFINITELY allows for the existence of particles existing on the OTHER side of the light speed boundry. This implies that there is still hope.

Time is just what happens to make sure that all of the energy in the universe isn't interacting all at the same instant.

Actually, time is more a distribution of perception. It's all realitive baby... because LIGHT SPEED is ACTUALLY THE SAME SPEED AS THAT OF TIME.

See people... it's not that it is IMPOSSIBLE to travel through time.. It's that it's without meaning. To travel far enough and fast enough to reach the future.... you would age at a rate much slower than that of your people. Infact you might just out live your own species... What sense would that make? Now to travel back in time... the problem with that would be philosophical as well... Just consider that one tiny change in a huge math problem can make the difference considerable, "the butterfly effect", now imagine that on a REALLY BIG SCALE... times that by a billion... times the speed of light.. times a billion.. etc. **** WOULD BE A LOT DIFFERENT if events we altered by someone from the future... Now I ask again.. what sense would it make?

1- the idea that we just haven't seen someone from the future, is a matter of the "pollution" of the timeline issue.
2- that we cannot travel faster than light, while a premise of present day physics, it still just hasn't been done yet. There is research being done that discusses the plausibility of time having a variable speed.
3- there are still far too many things that we just do not know, and therefore, cannot make absolute statements about. Not that making absolute statements isn't fun, or even seemingly necessary..... it's just that we really do not know with absolute certainty whether time travel is indeed possible or not.
4- humanity has indeed met one person from outside of time, and the last time he set foot on earth was 2000 years ago. Purely from a biblical perspective. The p.o.v. of the future is laid out rather well in that text. In spite of the fact that so many dislike it.
5- And as to the star trek comments, those are probably justly deserved, they were only used to make a point for others who also had used them.

lol

Time is a dimension because it describes an object. If you want to say that time is just a concept, then height, width and length are all simply concepts as well.

"you cannot travel through time." WRONG, I am doing it right now.

Time travel is not only possible, it is probable. If I have a wormhole and place one end in "empty" space and the other end within the gravity well of a neutron star, then the neutron star's end would in fact be behind the opposite end (Mass warps spacetime). The interesting part is if I go through to the neutron star and then back through, then I will have gone BACK in time.

This implies that one cannot go further back in time than when the time machine was created, but I happen to be an optimist and believe that there are naturally occurring wormholes that will send me back in time.

There seem to be 3 views of time. In presentism only temporally present objects are real. The past no longer exists and the future does not exist yet. Obviously in that view there will not be any time travel. In possibilism (sometimes called the "growing block" or "growing universe") the past and the present are fixed and actual and the future does not exist yet. In eternalism time is a fourth dimension and past, present and future are actual. That's the most likely candidate to use for time travel. Believing in the others limits the possibility of time travel or makes it impossible in that model. But that belief does not prove it is impossible altogether.

Last edited:
Is color a dimension, too? Brightness?

Of course... many things can be concepts...
concept n : an abstract or general idea inferred or derived from specific instances.

no, because you cannot mathematically describe an object as blue.
But you can say, for example, that an object is 3 units wide, 4 units long, 5 units high and moving along the line y=x at a velocity of 5 units/sec at t=6seconds. Color and brightness are irrelavent.

Color is a concept which can be described by physics as a light wave. That does not make it a dimension. But there is no need to descibe it that way.

Wikipedia said:
Electromagnetic radiation is a mixture of radiation of different wavelengths and intensities. When this radiation has a wavelength inside the human visibility range (approximately from 380 nm to 740 nm), it is called light. The light's spectrum records each wavelength's intensity. The full spectrum of the incoming radiation from an object determines the visual appearance of that object, including its perceived color.
You are free what to believe, but the fact that you feel time is not a dimension, doesn't prove anything. So, thanks for sharing you don't believe in time travel. ;) It doesn't help much, because science continues to make advantages in that field anyway.

Allah: Even color has solid physics theories and laws. Have a look at Color. And about its maths: Color can be mathematically decribed in the wave equation.

Last edited:
I know, but my point is that if a block is blue or red does not matter when you describe it mathematically.

Forgot who it was, but somebody said that it wazs not possible to travel through time because you can't travel -2metres through any of the other 3-Dimensions...yes you can. Stand in your place, and step backwards two metres. If your starting point was at the 3D co-ordinates (0, 0, 0) then after you finish moving, you would be at co-ordinates (-2, 0, 0) .

And i believe that travelling into the future is not possible, simply because we do not know how it will be. If i sit here, in this room and contemplate the theory of time, then in 50 years our world could be described as x .
But what if i want to go out now grab a few lumps of purified uranium and smash them against each other in my kitchen and cause a nuclear explosion. Then in 50 years time our world could be described as xy + x(z +zy) - x^2) . And, by process of observation and a conclusion involving the use of common sense, we can conclude that the two worlds are different to each other.

So then we do create a time travel machine, and we travel into the future-where would i arrive at...? Would i be in the world described as x, or in world described as xy + x(z + zy) - x^2) ? :confused:

Point is, we don't know what the future will hold, and only the divine creator himself does (I won't bring any more religion into this...).

As for travelling back in time-I think our best bet is through naturcal wormholes created by the warping, stretching or tearing of the fabric of space (see string theory for more info....)Thats the most convincing theory I've seen so far on the matter.

Last edited:
according to QED, positrons and the other antiparticles are just particles travelling backwards in time; a positron is an electron travelling backwards in time. You realize it viewing a Feynman diagram: its horizontal axis represent space and its vertical axis time. Take a look at the book "QED, the strange theory of light and matter". It's an interesting reading and you will see paths of electrons moving backwards in time. Each segment of the path of an electron in a Feynman diagram is called a probability amplitude, and there are probability amplitudes that point backwards in time: in fact if you have an electron you can't predict if it is going to go backwards in time: you can only calculate the probability, that is equal to the square of the length of the probability amplitude.

Last edited:
Saying that present events will affect future events is also saying that events take place in a linear fashion.

If we are able to travel through time at all, I think that suggests some degree of constancy in the course that events take.

In the three dimensions that we can definitely agree do exist, we can still travel through change.

Last edited:
Of course time travel is possible. It is unavoidable.

When you first made your posting, my reply was in your future. Yet, now you have traveled into your future, such that you can now read my reply to your post.

But if shadowman hadnt created this thread in the first place, what would you have had to reply to...? There would be no thread for you top reply to, thus past events do effect current events.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I don't like saying anything is impossible. I'm saying that if we were to travel into the future, where would we end up?

Another conclusion i think i just reached....that any event is never certain, nor impossible-there is only a certain probability between 0.0 and 1.0 that any event will occur-----> Quantam Mechanics

n_n,

You seem to be saying that we cannot travel into the future because it is as yet indeterminate. I contend that this does not hold.

There will be a tomorrow. It is not significant what tomorrow will be for us to recognize that we will eventually arrive there, and that it is currently in our future.

Furthermore, modern physics recognizes that you and I need not pass through the same amount of time between now and then. In other words, it is possible for me to travel less far through time than you during the next 24 hours. Therefore, I can travel not only into my future, but I can travel more slowly than you into your future as well.

....? :uhh:
i don't get it.....

n_n

Time travel into the future is clearly possible. Everyone does it every day.

Time travel into the past is not possible.

Time travel into the future is clearly possible. Everyone does it every day.

Time travel into the past is not possible.
Bull. Because you say so?

I am sorry. Is there a question in here somewhere?

obviously time travel is possible-we do it everyday, no doubting that

But what makes it possible to accelerate our travel through this dimension?

n_n,

Instead of accelerate, consider just the opposite, that it is possible to decelerate our motion through time with respect to others.

Are you aware of the idea that the speed of light is constant in space-time. Space-time is a symmetrical interaction of space and time. The greater the rate of motion through one, the less the rate of motion through the other.

The best known example is probably that of two twins, one of whom boards a space ship that accelerates to near the (Newtonian) speed of light. When he returns to earth, he will find that his greater rate of motion through space has caused him to age less than the twin who remained back on the earth.

Therefore, if one were to board a space ship and travel near the (Newtonian) speed of light, and then come back after everyone on earth had aged 100 earth years, then the person will have aged almost not at all, and so will have effectively moved 100 years into the future. (It is not possible to return, however.)

By moving into the future more slowly than someone else, it is possible to move into the future with respect to him. Rather than accelerate through time, as you suggest, it is possible to decelerate through time with respect to the earth and others on it.

Lest you consider that this is a hypothetical example that relates to motion at the (Newtonian) speed of light only, keep in mind that this is only a blatant example. No 2 people move forward through time at the exact same rate. We all move into the future, and we all move into the future at different rates of speed.

If you are familiar with Newtonian physics, but not with Einsteinian physics, then this will understandably have little meaning to you.

I believe that time travel is possible

1. Moving faster than the speed of light. If you somehow do so, then you will go back in time.

2. Entering a Wormhole, since wormholes traverse space and time. I think I heard somewhere that wormholes have actually been observed on the microscopic level, but I don't remember where.

3. Sending your mind across time while your body sits in a nice air conditioned room. If you did this, then you would avoid all of the ugly paradoxes that arise by going back in time.

With respect to others.

There was an experiment of which results proved light traveled at a constant speed no matter how fast the source of light was travelling, right? Did that come before or after Einstein's theory of relativity? And how do we know our technology is advanced enough to detect any change in the speed of light?

What is the difference between Newtonian and Einsteinian speeds of light?

With respect to others. This has probably been asked countless times, but I haven't had my turn. So why isn't the Earth twin younger with respect to the spaceship one? Since the spaceship twin was unmoving wrt himself, everyone else should have been travelling near the speed of light, so he should age and they should not.

--
again, the present may affect the future, but that doesn't preclude our ability to accelerate into the future anyway--if time is indeed a dimension like the three we all know and love. A changing landscape (dimension) can still be travelled.

Time dilation

http://physics.about.com/cs/generalrelativit1/a/110703_2.htm?terms=relative+time [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: