Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time travel paradox

1. Nov 18, 2014 #1
    I was thinking about time travel...this is what i came up with ---->
    lets say person A (age 20,year 2014) travel to the year 2024 and meets himself (A2, age 30).lets say a kills his future A (i.e A2) and travels back in time (which i know is not possible but then).
    Now A is back in 2014.After 10 year another A will kill the actual A. Does this end up in a time loop for A? (only for A or for all?)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't say its a loop since time ends for A. What if you consider that A knows the fact and decides to change it?

This type of plot was featured in the Back to the Future movie where Marty gives Doc Brown a note that says he'll be shot by
    terrorists in the future an event that Marty witnessed. Doc Brown then must decide whether he will read the note or not and act on it or not.

4. Nov 18, 2014 #3
    If present A hides, then the other A will search and return back...now there are two A.when the A that tried to kill the original A returns, he will also hide and another A will come after 10 years....now there are 3 A.So does this mean the universe multiplied?

5. Nov 18, 2014 #4
    I have not any of those movies...can u give a better explanation?

6. Nov 18, 2014 #5

jedishrfu

7. Nov 18, 2014 #6

Dale

Science fiction movies are not valid references or topics for this forum.

8. Nov 18, 2014 #7

PeterDonis

2016 Award

It's no more impossible than traveling forward in time the way you have described it (i.e., jumping forward 10 years without living through the intervening time).

No. There is only one A: he jumps forward 10 years, then jumps back 10 years, then goes forward 10 years in the normal way (by experiencing 10 years), and then is killed.

No, it means you are making your scenario more and more complicated. But however complicated you make it, there is still only one A; his path through spacetime just gets more and more convoluted. Try drawing a diagram of A's path through spacetime (using dotted lines for the jumps); you will see that it is a single connected path (if we define "connected" loosely enough to include the dotted lines representing the jumps).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook