Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time travel test

1. Jul 9, 2016 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Assume that you are being sent back in time. You can choose the exact time period, but it has to be more than 200 years ago. You cannot bring anything with you.

How would you use your current knowledge in order to survive? Would you be able to get rich/famous/powerful? Note: you cannot learn anything new before going, you'll have to rely on everything you know right now.

Assume that language barriers won't be an issue.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2016 #2
    Since I already know the history of how things are to be,I will use this knowledge of mine to become rich/famous/powerful you name it.

4. Jul 9, 2016 #3
    If you happen to know things before time, they'll probably persecute you for black magic!! :warning:

5. Jul 9, 2016 #4
    I dont think people are stupid enough to believe in black magic 200 years back(atleast in the developed countries).Even if they do they will probably try to use me rather than get rid of me.

6. Jul 9, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you're transported to a village in 1816. What would you predict exactly to impress the people?

7. Jul 9, 2016 #6
    Maybe there's not much I can do in a village,but certainly if I can share with them knowledge,and some of the designs or ideas in weapons,I would get in touch with the higher ups and hopefully I could put to use the history card!

8. Jul 9, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And I assume you know how to design and construct weapons?

9. Jul 9, 2016 #8
    Lets assume I know how to create simple types of explosives which are fashioned from day to day stuffs

10. Jul 9, 2016 #9
    At the very least I will show them how to make soaps!

11. Jul 9, 2016 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you know it, since this thread is strictly about things you do know! And you don't think that people in 1816 knew about explosives?

12. Jul 9, 2016 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Soap was invented in 2800 BC.

13. Jul 9, 2016 #12
    Not every place in the world has access to soaps even today,so certainly not 200 years back.Even if I lose the soap card I could get in touch with the scholars there and tell them about some of the scientific stuffs to get in touch with the higher ups

14. Jul 9, 2016 #13
    That would be secondary. Given that I don't know anything about hunting/chopping wood or any other such basic thing, I wonder if I'd actually survive. Also, I don't know anything much about the lifestyle in previous times so I'd be heavily dependant on someone else.

15. Jul 9, 2016 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, not every place knew about soaps. But then you'll have no advantage over somebody born in 1816 who knew about soaps and who spreads it to a different place.

Like what?

16. Jul 9, 2016 #15
    Depends on where you want to be 200 years back.You dont really need to know chopping/hunting to live

17. Jul 9, 2016 #16
    Special relativity

18. Jul 9, 2016 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK.
    1) You know all the details about special relativity?
    2) You think you can prove them that special relativity is true?
    3) You think they would care in 1816 when electricity wasn't even invented or well understood and Newtonian mechanics would not have been challenged?

19. Jul 9, 2016 #18
    Proving the theory would be difficult but that isn't the only card I have is it.I can show them maxwells laws(would be difficult to do will have teach them vector calculus and stuff).The point is I have a good chance to getting in touch with the higher ups,then its the history card

20. Jul 9, 2016 #19
    Actually what was your intent behind the question?

21. Jul 9, 2016 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure. But at 1816, electricity was just an intellectual curiosity. So unless you can make some useful applications with electricity, I don't think many people outside of some scientists would care for discoveries of electricity. But sure, I guess teaching them about Maxwell's laws would be a valid possibility, and I'm sure it will impress some people.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted