Solving the Paradox of Self-Built Time Machines

In summary, the conversation discusses the paradox of going back in time and killing oneself, and raises the question of how the time machine was built in the first place. This paradox is seen in popular culture, such as the movie Terminator, where a character's existence is dependent on their own actions in the past. It brings up the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg.
mkbh_10
Suppose i build a time machine , then go back in the past & kill myself . I die the instant i kill my past , but how in the first place i built the time machine ?

Physics news on Phys.org
mkbh_10 said:
Suppose i build a time machine , then go back in the past & kill myself . I die the instant i kill my past , but how in the first place i built the time machine ?

The first problem is this... how to build a time machine. If you're not able to build the time machine, then the rest are non-starters.

This is a giant paradox which makes the movie terminator such a great movie... (assuming youve seen it) John Connor sends a man back in time to save his mom and the man ends up being his father... How could John Connor exist until he sent his "dad" back in time... basically, which came first? the chicken? or the egg?

1. How is the paradox of self-built time machines defined?

The paradox of self-built time machines refers to the idea that if someone were to travel back in time and give their past self the necessary information or tools to build a time machine, then where did the original information or tools come from? This creates a loop or contradiction in the timeline, as the time machine would not have been originally created without the future self's intervention.

2. Is it possible to solve the paradox of self-built time machines?

While there is no definitive answer, some theories suggest that time travel may be possible through the use of parallel universes or alternate timelines. In this scenario, the future self would be giving the information or tools to a different version of their past self in a different universe, avoiding the paradox. However, this is still a highly debated and unproven theory.

3. Can the paradox of self-built time machines be explained using physics?

There are many theories in physics that attempt to explain the concept of time travel and its implications on causality. Some suggest that the laws of physics would not allow for time travel to occur in the first place, while others propose alternate models of time that could potentially resolve the paradox. However, there is still much debate and research needed in this area.

4. What are the potential consequences of solving the paradox of self-built time machines?

If a solution to the paradox were to be discovered, it would have significant implications on our understanding of time and the universe. It could potentially open the doors to actual time travel and raise ethical questions about altering the past or future. It could also challenge our current understanding of causality and the concept of free will.

5. How does the concept of self-consistency play a role in the paradox of self-built time machines?

Self-consistency refers to the idea that events in a timeline must remain consistent and logical. In the case of the paradox of self-built time machines, if a future self were to intervene in the past to create a time machine, it would create a contradiction in the timeline. This challenges the principle of self-consistency and adds to the complexity of solving the paradox.