1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time travel

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    I just finished watching a documentary called The World's First Time Machine on youtube about a dude trying to use lasers to send particles back in time. It's kinda old but I'm sure a lot of you have already seen it. I can link it if you want.
    But they were acting like the dude was on the brink of making this thing work, yet I haven't heard anything further on it.
    Anyone know anything about it or if what he was trying to do is even possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2
    I think I remember reading something like this, about particles and time travel, in Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. I think he said they hadn't been able to do it (send them back in time anyway), and as far as I know it's impossible. I'm not sure if it was the same thing, or even if I remember correctly. Either way it was a great book.

4. Jul 8, 2009 #3
    Just how would you even know if such a thing was a success? You would have to be expecting and looking for the result prior to doing the experiment. And, what would happen if you got a positive result, and then decided not to do the experiment?

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It was a show on tv from several years ago hyping Ron Mallett's now failed attempt at opening a portal to the future. You can google on him if you want more information. There have also been a number of threads discussing this already.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook