Time Travel Possibilities: Examining the Physics of Spacetime

In summary: However, when you return, the Earth would be two light years ahead of you, since it would have traveled the light year difference in the time continuum since you left.
CosmicCrunch
Michio Kaku stated that current physics does not rule out the possibility of time travel even tho it would take comprimable measures to achieve it, such as the energy of a supernovae, my question is even if you can bend spacetime to that extreme to get to a planet with life on it, how are you going back in time, being that time is technically an illusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is possible to go back in time but i know from some theorists that the faster your speed it the faster you travel through time.
our Earth is in a constant faction of time travel because of our constant movement abound the sun and away from center of universe.
Ex: stars closer to the center of universe are going through time slower then we are because of their smaller speeds
also if you take a perfect clock into orbit on the space station after a year of orbiting it will be 6 second behind of another perfect clock back on Earth
I you go at the speed of light to a star 1 light year away you will get there instantly but for everyone on Earth it will seem like one light year. also when you come back instantly the Earth will be 2 light years ahead of you (it will suck everyone will probably be dead)

it is also impossible to know about something from a distant place until it has traveled the light year difference in the time continuum unless you are the one traveling the speed of light, but even then, when you return everything would have served out the correct amount of light years needed for light to travel that distance

CosmicCrunch said:
Michio Kaku stated that current physics does not rule out the possibility of time travel even tho it would take comprimable measures to achieve it, such as the energy of a supernovae, my question is even if you can bend spacetime to that extreme to get to a planet with life on it, how are you going back in time, being that time is technically an illusion.

The idea is that you can bend spacetime to such an extent thast, rather than traveling along a spatial path, you travel along a timelike path. i.e. you travel backwards in time.

lolomolo said:
...the faster your speed it the faster you travel through time.
No. The faster you travel, the less time elapses for you. You could arrive back aty your destination hardly having aged at all.

1. What is time travel?

Time travel refers to the hypothetical ability to move through different points in time, either backwards or forwards, in a way that is different from the usual experience of time passing in a linear fashion.

2. Is time travel possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or theoretical framework that supports the possibility of time travel. However, some theories in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, suggest that time travel may be possible under certain conditions.

3. How does time travel relate to the concept of spacetime?

Spacetime is a mathematical model that combines the dimensions of space and time into a four-dimensional continuum. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, spacetime can be warped by the presence of massive objects, which could potentially create the conditions for time travel.

4. Can someone travel back in time to change the past?

The concept of changing the past through time travel is a popular theme in science fiction, but it is not supported by current scientific understanding. The laws of physics, particularly the principle of causality, suggest that changing the past would create paradoxes and inconsistencies.

5. Are there any time travel experiments being conducted?

While there have been some experiments attempting to measure the effects of time dilation (a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity), there are currently no experiments being conducted that directly test the possibility of time travel. Such experiments would require significant advancements in technology and a deeper understanding of the laws of physics.