Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time varying forces

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The SE is written in terms of a potential energy. It says, "given a particle in a region where the potential is V(,x,y,z), solve me if you want to know the probability density."

But not all forces can be represented by a potential energy. What does QM says, for exemple in the case of a particle in a time varying electric field?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Time varying potentials induce transitions among states on the time independent hamiltonian. That's what we have perturbation theory for.

Daniel.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    In the case of a time-varying electric field, you would probably have to use the vector potential stuff as

[tex]
    \vec{E} = -\frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t} - \nabla \varphi
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A}
    [/tex]

and then choose your vector potential accordingly.

edit: It's also interesting to note what happens if, say, your potential energy is not Hermitian. I recommend you explore that exercise a bit, as you get some interesting results regarding the normalization of the wave function. Also, it's important to note that most non-conservative forces (such as friction) are macroscopic, and, as far as I know, have no quantum analogs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But the potential in the SE is a scalar potential. What would you do with [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]?

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The S.E. in 'fundamental form' is [tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\Psi\rangle = H|\Psi\rangle[/tex].
    You should always get H from the classical Hamiltonian. The S.E. you wrote down cannot accomodate for all situations.

In EM, the conjugate momentum [itex]\vec p[/itex] of the position [itex]\vec r[/itex] is not [itex]m\vec v[/itex] but:
    [tex]\vec p = m\vec v+q\vec A[/tex], and your Hamiltonian becomes:

[tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left(\vec p-q\vec A)^2+qU[/tex]
    where U and A are the potentials. The important thing is that they satisfy:

[tex]\vec E = -\vec \nabla U - \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\vec A[/tex]
    [tex]\vec B = \vec \nabla \times \vec A[/tex]

(U and A are not unique. You have so-called gauge freedom. Different gauges will lead to the same physical results in EM and QM ofcourse. This is called gauge invariance).

By the way. At a fundamental level (microscopic scale), only conservative systems play a role anyway.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?