Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Was

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    ...when a young penguin type fellow could start a thread like this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=103616

and almost all of the people here would instantly understand it was humorous. In fact, they would pitch in and add to the humor, extending it and developing it, all with a straight face. No one had to ask "Is this supposed to be a joke?" or try to bring the whole thing to a halt and "correct" the erroneous notions. Everyone got it.

I think things are in a sad state around here, humor-wise.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

___

there was another thread, dont know where it went, it had some kind of advertisement saying "get free ipods!!!, apply now , go to http://......... , it is proven, watch this video http://......, they know it works......."i tried to post in there but it says "invalid "(something)" selected."
    it was there few seconds ago, for few seconds........

4. Dec 11, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So a member with no name makes a post with no sense, providing links to no page. What are we coming to, nothing?

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I know. The Pengwuino was ripped to shreds and it was really funny. :frown:

Although I think Ian was trying to make a funny response, I think. :uhh: But who can tell anything about those Crazy French Canadian Biologists. :tongue:

Perhaps we need to preface all humorous posts with "this is a joke"?

6. Dec 11, 2005 #5
    I guess we need to add to the list that Biologist have no sense of humor!

7. Dec 11, 2005 #6
    That's the thing. If you have to tell people all the humor wilts and dies. I suggest potential members be given a complete humor workup before being allowed to join.

I thought it was a pretty amusing OP.

8. Dec 11, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

As one with first-hand knowledge of the intricacies and subtleties of Canuk humour (espcecially when there's a language impediment), let me assure you that Ian was indeed typing finger-in-cheek. You gotta see when the Newfies get going at it. :bugeye:

9. Dec 11, 2005 #8
    He seemed to be switching back and forth. In the end I couldn't sense wholehearted whimsey and felt sort of confused. Maybe cause I'm only half Canadian.

10. Dec 11, 2005 #9
    I mean, what's wrong with people? All we were doing was mocking their careers and proving they wasted all their time in school studying biology and they get all anal about it.

11. Dec 11, 2005 #10

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that thread would have been nearly as funny if people hadn't taken it somewhat seriously. :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?